Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Talcum powder

  1. #1

    Default Talcum powder

    I am a new drysuit user. I recently dove with some other guys using drysuits and one of them used talcum powder and the other used Johnson's baby powder as lubricants for getting the head and wrists through the neck and wrists seals. The two were debating which type of powder was preferable. The one claimed that the scents and chemicals in the Johnson's product would cause the latex to deteriorate more quickly than pure talcum powder. The other disagreed. Can anyone weigh in on this and make a recommendation. Thanks.

    Scott Coupland
    Oviedo (Orlando), FL

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    High Springs Florida
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,513

    Default

    i use ky jelly as seal lube and wax the zipper regular
    MA

    Last edited by Line Squirrel; 09-23-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Sorry, didn't meet to edit. I put it back the way it was, my bad.
    Www.artflowslikewater.com
    Brendan's Law - "Know what you're breathing. Analyze your gas for O2 and Co. Analyze your gas each time, everytime, anywhere."

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    246 Bubbleless Cove
    Posts
    390

    Default

    I have used both and not seen any faster seal deterioration between either. At this point in time I am using J&J baby powder.


    PS where in Oviedo?

    Meng Tze
    -Homo Bonae Voluntatis

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    I have always been told that you want to use the type without any scents for the reason you gave.

    That said, I live in an area (N FL) where the heat destroys wrist & neck seals faster than anything. I hang my suit outside 24X7 and I'm "pretty" careful not to hang it in direct sunlight but the heat, I'm told from Steve Gamble, is as bad as anything so I guess scented or unscented it wouldn't matter down here. If I get 18 months out of my seals I'm lucky.

    Last edited by Line Squirrel; 09-23-2008 at 12:01 PM.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    I use USP talcum powder (the same stuff used as adjunct in pharmaceuticals), just because I had a great deal on a couple of pounds of it. I don't think Baby powder will deteriorate the seals fast enough to warrant its non-use if you are replacing the seals every two years or so. YMMV.

    Additionally I store the suit inside (spare bedroom in climate controlled dwelling) to help with latex deterioration, living in North Florida, average seal life 2.5 years...those trips to DUI are killers....

    To don the suit I use (as my cave instructor did many years back) a spray bottle with soap water (Joy=cheapest), works great and smells good and no skin oil to accelerate latex breakdown (technically).

    Dive safe,

    Celia

    PS There are some silicone seal conditioners sold but their application makes seal replacement more difficult because the glue does not adhere well to the silicone treated surface....

    Last edited by amphipod06; 09-23-2008 at 12:16 PM.
    "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

    ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cazenovia, NY EX-Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    242

    Default

    KY? Anyone else use that for their seals? Ive never heard of it being used on a drysuit...


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Lee Ann on this board uses it too, swears by it.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Enterprise, AL
    Posts
    94

    Default KY

    Quote Originally Posted by akcaver View Post
    KY? Anyone else use that for their seals? Ive never heard of it being used on a drysuit...
    I've been using KY jelly for a few years: a pea-sized drop wiped around the inside of the wrist seal makes it easy to put on. I also treat my neck and wrist latex seals with 303 Aerospace Protectant every 4-5 dives. Keep the seals out of direct sunlight, high heat and away from electrical motors (ozone). I get about two years, 100 dives/year average, out of my wrist seals, a little longer on my neck seal.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    298

    Default Nothing

    I used baby powder for a while but found that it caused my seals to blow off air more easily. It may be that my seals are almost too loose. Without baby powder I have no problems. I am pretty sure you can get unscented baby powder for the same price as the scented stuff. One guy I dove with used corn starch. I thought it was wierd but apparently it worked.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    No where... formerly Miami, FL. Athens, GA, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newman_diver View Post
    I am pretty sure you can get unscented baby powder for the same price as the scented stuff. One guy I dove with used corn starch. I thought it was wierd but apparently it worked.
    Some baby powder are 100 % corn starch. Most of them contain some corn starch, the rest being talc.

    The shoals are there still, the winds howl loud, the rain beats down, the waves burst strong. Some night, in the chill darkness, someone will make a mistake: The sea will show him no mercy. John T. Cunningham


 

Similar Threads

  1. Steel Tanks & Powder Paint ?
    By caver in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 01:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts