Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Default Neck Seal sizing

    OK, go ahead and call me an idiot. Good - now that you have got that out of your system maybe I can get some real advice.

    I dive with a Dive Rite 905 front zip. My neck seal seems to be tight enough for most practical usage, but if I look down (or under, in the caves) my neck seal will leak. I am very tired of my back getting soaked during a dive.

    Is the seal too loose? Does this happen to others?

    I will have a new seal installed if that will fix it, but it seems pretty tight right now.

    I am about ready to duct tape it to my neck. That oughta fix it.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    If you can breathe, the seal is too loose.

    Just kidding.....but it does take some getting used to. I barely even notice mine anymore, and when it was first put on, I swore it was choking me. Drysuit maintenance is a huge PITA I'm learning, but it beats the hell out of diving *** (the "w" word) !

    If you need a new seal, Steve Gamble is the man to call. I think he charged me around $100 to replace the seal, got my sizing right the first try, and the install was perfect (no leaks).

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    1,671

    Default Try this

    Make sure you shave your neck before you going diving. I find I get a little water if I have not shaved it for a while.


  4. #4

    Default

    I have had the same problems with my 905. MY seal is tight enough that I sometimes get the dry heaves. The thing that I noticed that causes my neck seal leaking is the veins in my neck are larger than normal. Looking up and extreme left or right seems to be the worst. The only solution I have heard of that fixes this is changing to a neoprene seal. I don’t mind the moisture enough to change to a neoprene seal. Just my 2 cents!!


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northeast & FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    561

    Default

    You can also use a large elastic band in addition to the neck seal, or you can use a neo neckseal and you will not have that problem.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by everdeeper43015 View Post
    If you can breathe, the seal is too loose.
    MY seal is tight enough that I sometimes get the dry heaves.
    You guys make dry suit diving sound so fun I'm glad I never bought one.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    As I've said in the past ~ I don't think you get the true drysuit experience unless it leaks...somewhere

    The neck seals...I've been through a couple dry suits and probably 8-10 neck seals through normal wear and tear. I think everyone (latex) of them has leaked if I stretched my neck enough looking up, down or to one side or the other.

    I think the trick is to roll your shoulders a little in the same direction you want to look. Works for me.

    You don't have to turn your whole body like your vertebrates are fused together but rolling the shoulders a little helps.

    Last edited by Line Squirrel; 08-10-2008 at 03:33 PM.
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    913

    Default

    According to Faith from DUI, it's the same premise as the tendons in the wrist....flex or twist to tighten them and you get a leak.....

    Go with what Mike said...try to turn your shoulders too, to facilitate less turning of the neck that flexes the tendons.

    There are 3 kinds of people in this world; those who are good at math, and those who are not.


 

Similar Threads

  1. leaking latex neck seals?
    By billmackbarnes in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 12:41 PM
  2. Trip into Gourd Neck
    By Craig G. in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-03-2005, 12:32 PM
  3. Bio Seal for latex neck seal
    By KevinE in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 11:20 AM
  4. WTB Wrist seals & neck seals
    By Cavediver38 in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 09:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts