Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: P-Valve IRAP

  1. #1

    Default P-Valve IRAP

    After reading this report in the IRAP about a severe bladder infection, I was struck wondering if this was a balanced, or unbalanced valve and whether either one would have made a difference. Has anyone else had this type of problem? I need to know before I install one in my suit, now that my dives are getting to the 70+ minute average point.


  2. #2
    Genesis
    Guest

    Default

    I don't think it would matter, since it appears that the tubing was kinked between the cath and the exit point.

    I always make a point of attempting to "use" mine before beginning the dive, and to begin s.l.o.w.l.y., just to detect such an occurrance. It had not occurred to me that I'd get the 'backup' situation with a kink though - my fear was one of blowing off the cath and the resultant huge mess in the suit.

    No problems with mine yet, but I'll be even more vigilant with it after reading this - that does NOT sound like fun!


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The ATL & N. GA Mountains
    Posts
    120

    Default

    That has to be the scariest IRAP I have read in recent memory!

    I had the thing "balloon up" before (before it finally cleared) - now I'll really be extra vigilant - Thanks for warning us all!

    JB


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Re-circulating urine in sterile tubing shouldn't cause an infection, but if the tube had been used in the past and not washed out...

    Moral, rinse the tube out after every use, with *clean* water. It wouldn't hurt to disinfect it occasionly. Maybe Lee, or a paramedic could suggest some disinfectant that wouldn't cause another problem. In any case that should be rinsed out as well.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    In a Virgin Cave in Dominican Republic :D
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW
    Re-circulating urine in sterile tubing shouldn't cause an infection, but if the tube had been used in the past and not washed out...

    Moral, rinse the tube out after every use, with *clean* water. It wouldn't hurt to disinfect it occasionly. Maybe Lee, or a paramedic could suggest some disinfectant that wouldn't cause another problem. In any case that should be rinsed out as well.
    I think that is the solution..

    same with your thingy, if you dont wash it, soon or late will fall off..

    Cristian Pittaro
    www.neptunoworld.com
    and don't forget to check out my MiniSpools
    http://www.dr-ss.com Dominican Republic Speleological Society
    http://la-hispaniola.com Free maps for Dominican Republic and Haiti for Garmin GPS's

  6. #6

    Default

    Poor guy. Bladder infections aren't common for you all (men) so I understand how horrible it was. Thank God he came out of it okay. I admire his willingness to report the incident for the edification to all. Cleanliness is important but don't forget that all it takes is just a little of the normal bacterial load from skin to cause an infection. I think he was screwed the moment it all backed up no matter how clean the plastic tubing might of been. Gives me the 'willies' just thinking about how that must of felt. Perhaps my latest penis envy is misplaced and I should embrace those Depends as not such a bad alternative. 8)


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    jacksonville FL
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Perhaps my latest penis envy is misplaced and I should embrace those Depends as not such a bad alternative
    One of my Dive Buddies just got a dry (fabric) suit recently, and was beginning to consider a p-valve or cath...I'm trying to tell him that Depends are not that bad an option for short (90' or less) exposures, and besides, most of the places we dive HAVE bath houses for "gearing up" around the midsection...<g>

    Have I steered him wrong? (I'm NOT a drysuit user)

    Norm


  8. #8
    Genesis
    Guest

    Default

    I vastly prefer using the cath now that I've put one in.

    I resisted for quite a while. You know - new suit, you're going to intentionally hole it, etc etc etc.

    Staring at $1500 about to intentionally put a hole in it, well, that takes a few stones to do.

    Having done it and lived with it for a while, I wish I had done it sooner.

    Being able to hydrate freely and frequently, without concern about whether or how often I will have to get rid of the rented hydration supply, is a huge plus. It leads to better behavior in terms of keeping your hydration level adequate.

    If I intend to be in the water for more than 30-40 minutes, or where I cannot easily doff the suit for any reason between dives, I hook it up. The latter on cooler days is a huge bonus, because I can walk around in the suit with the zip partially open for heat level control, yet keep it on to avoid getting cold.

    Of course in the summer its the other way around - I want out of that beast. But right now, with temps being cooler, the wetsuit folks really get hammered on surface intervals, while I'm comfortable staying zipped.

    I wouldn't do the "depends" deal.... just not for me.

    BTW, one other thnig to keep in mind. I got one cath that had "improper" adhesive put in at the factory. Basically, it was all on one part of the condom, with none on the other side. This was immediately apparent after putting it on - about half of it was not "stuck" and thus not sealed at all - of course then you have to take it off, and put on another one, because it's gonna leak bigtime if you try to use it that way.

    Removing the "defective" one wasn't fun, with the extra adhesive. What was worse was removing the second one that evening - it simply did not want to come off. There were many howls to be heard.

    Unfortnuately I don't think there is any way to guard against this, since there's no way to know if you've got a manufacturing problem like this until you've already "applied" the device - at which point you're "stuck" - literally.


  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by normblitch
    One of my Dive Buddies just got a dry (fabric) suit recently, and was beginning to consider a p-valve or cath...I'm trying to tell him that Depends are not that bad an option for short (90' or less) exposures, and besides, most of the places we dive HAVE bath houses for "gearing up" around the midsection...<g>

    Have I steered him wrong? (I'm NOT a drysuit user)

    Norm
    Ummm.......I don't have the equipment needed to speak with authority regarding the use of p-valves. What I can tell you is that I've never had an infection caused by the use of Depends. I'm not terribly shy and have been known to 'gear up or down' behind the cover of an open truck door. Between that a small pack of baby wipes all things stay nice and baby fresh. To avoid soiling the suit make sure to release s.l.o.w.l.y..... but from this thread it sounds like a non-gender specific requirement.


  10. #10
    Guest

    Default

    Too much information, Angie!

    Seriously, my dives are always under two hours, so I've resisted getting a p-valve. I NEVER drink anything with caffeine in it until the last dive of the day is over. Just water or non-caffeinated soft drinks. So far it hasn't been an issue.

    If and when my dives start going over two hours, I guess I'll have to consider the dreaded valve.

    Russell



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts