Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default IRAP - It wasn't me!

    Those of you that have been on the forum for several years know that we are on our third software.

    With the first one, we began the IRAP section. Members submitted their reports, a moderator reviewed it, and then it was posted. All were anonymous.

    After we went to the Phpbb software, we changed it a bit. We created a new administrative login called "IRAP Administrator," and members would PM their report to "him," and "he" would post the report and then lock the thread. This is because these reports aren't up for discussion (finger-pointing) but simply for personal reflection.

    It fell to a moderator to transfer all of the original IRAPs to the new forum, so I volunteered. I would log in as "IRAP Administrator" and copy/paste each report to a new thread. For some reason, when we changed to the current V-Bulletin software, all of the IRAP reports show me as the author. So I look like I've had 68 near-misses.

    I appreciate all the PMs I have received, telling me they're glad I survived my latest "incident." But rest assured, we hope to have the authorship situation fixed soon.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  2. #2
    Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Live Oak, Suwannee County, Florida
    Posts
    3,699

    Default

    Glad to hear you survived...

    Tom Johnson / tj
    Administrator/Sponsor
    Dayo Scuba North
    Live Oak, Suwannee County, Florida
    Cave Evaluator/IT TDI

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    You must have nine lives my friend!

    Last edited by Line Squirrel; 02-20-2008 at 11:54 AM.
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    I never thought it was you, you don't have a Gavin. I figured you were the one on the Mako

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    No where... formerly Miami, FL. Athens, GA, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I never thought it was you, you don't have a Gavin. I figured you were the one on the Mako
    LOL

    Well then let me add that although I just got myself a used short body Gavin last weekend (knowledge to some), I have been scootering before and last weekend was my first time out on my used scooter at Ginnie, I wasn't Diver C (and not B or A for that matter).

    Glad the divers posted the story.

    The shoals are there still, the winds howl loud, the rain beats down, the waves burst strong. Some night, in the chill darkness, someone will make a mistake: The sea will show him no mercy. John T. Cunningham

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    I appreciate all the PMs I have received, telling me they're glad I survived my latest "incident." But rest assured, we hope to have the authorship situation fixed soon.
    Come on, who are you trying to convince, us or yourself?? We have all suspected that you have lots of "incidents".

    Me, I have something screw up every dive, I'm just smart enough not to tell about it. I mean, why warn everyone. Let them find out on their own. You know like when you switch the little lever from "pre-dive" to "dive" on your regulator and it breaks off in your hand leaving a big hole in the top of your 2nd stage, let everyone figure out for themselves why they are breathing water or which finger to plug the hole with.

    Or like when you've had a banana and granola bar pre dive, and have to blow chunks of it at deco. Do you leave the reg in or out. Would you rather breathe a bit of fresh water, or banana/granola flavored acidic hurl.

    Or trying to use a piece of cave line as a mask strap after yours has broken. Do you cut it off the spool, or just leave the spool dangling like a big earring?

    "It Wasn't Me", a likely story indeed.....

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    TSS Costal, Afghanistan
    Age
    58
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    Do you cut it off the spool, or just leave the spool dangling like a big earring?
    ROFL, just the mental picture made my day

    Safe diving

    Mike Edmonston
    NAUI Technical Instructor
    Oxycheq Experimental Dive Team Test Pilot
    US NAVY Submariner TM2/ss 1988 - 1996
    Currently US ARMY Military Police NTM-A TSS-COSTALL Spin Boldak Afghanistan 2010 - ??
    Instructor Trainer and NATO Advisor to Afghan National Police Force and Afghan Border Patrol

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NW Alabama
    Posts
    698

    Talking

    Sludge is a wealth of info.
    He knows 68 things NOT to do if you want to have a safe dive.
    That trial and error method is gonna get you!!!

    If cave diving were Star Wars, who would be Yoda?


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts