Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    76

    Default LR

    Cindy
    Thanks for the kind words. I have no problem with jumping off the main line, I do it all the time. Tha problem is that it was done with the same kind of line as the main line as opposed to a smaller line that is typically found on reels. An inexperenced diver might possibly turn off the main line following the jump back to a section they intended not to go to. Anyway, the intention was ment to be costructive not inflamatory


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Funny thing about that is one of the icons of cave diving took my friends and I to task for not having a reel with gold line on it to do repairs if needed. I don't see a problem so long as the line is correctly marked, a cave diver or at least someone on the team should be able to see what happened and run their own jump line or just keep on the primary gold line. If I get you right the problem would be if someone got on the line not realising it was a jump and not a "T" and not run his own jump over. The would only be an issue if the first diver pulled his gold jump line. Personally I can tell a jump from a T and hope most divers could. You would really figure it out when you get to the line where the jump reel is tied off. At most it would cost a diver a couple of fin strokes and maybe make them pay a little more attention. The message here is to make sure you learn a cave, pay attention to all junctions and your surroundings, and put your own lines in. Also don't just follow a leader blindly and be sure no matter where you are in the team you check all marking and junctions. Glad you brought this subject up, Cindy

    "Philosophy is a purely personal matter. A genuine philosopher's credo is the outcome of a single complex personality; it cannot be transferred. No two persons, if sincere, can have the same philosophy."
    --Havelock Ellis

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    The message here is to make sure you learn a cave, pay attention to all junctions and your surroundings, and put your own lines in. Also don't just follow a leader blindly and be sure no matter where you are in the team you check all marking and junctions. Glad you brought this subject up, Cindy
    My reason for the post. Not all are at the same level of experience or training or for that matter even trained at all.

    Last edited by Line Squirrel; 02-17-2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Fix quote

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    28

    Default Missed a good chance

    I was at Little River Saturday also, I saw the referenced jump. The jump line certainly appeared to be the same size and color (gold) line as the Main Line. My first thought was WTH. But it was apparent that the jump line was just the same kind of line as the main line.
    Had I been a little more narced out at the time. Just for fun, I would have lined the JUMP line with about 9 or 10 cookies or clothes pins, and placed a cable tie at the tie off. Pull up a lawn chair and wait for the Kodak moment to begin. It would have been priceless, but then again, who would do something mean like that???


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    21mi north o'DAB
    Posts
    1,347

    Default line

    Line in a cave is placed as a secondary navigational tool. The primary navigation is learning the cave visually and progressing into it slowly. Was it once in the cave class program? If navigation becomes too stressful for somebody maybe it is a time to call the dive.

    Talking about LR my biggest concern for today is that as we heard from a park ranger - after it becomes a state park there will be certainly no scootering (not to mention a solo). So grab all you reels an SS-es now and catch the moment

    ARY (Photo, video)

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARY View Post
    Talking about LR my biggest concern for today is that as we heard from a park ranger - after it becomes a state park there will be certainly no scootering (not to mention a solo). So grab all you reels an SS-es now and catch the moment
    Well that is really unfortunate, what the hell are we going to do when the flow comes back?


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rlc5925 View Post
    OK, just to clarify. sorry I brought up the reel.s But after 22 years of cave diving and hovering over the jump while people cleared out of the way I know the difference between hi viz line and gold braid. And for others wondering, gold braid is what is used for the permanent main line in Little River. I'm not complaining, not trying to stir up anything or hurt any feelings. Just thought some folks might find some usefulness out of the post. Thanks
    Didn't mean to imply you don't know the difference. I've seen some of the new spools and line out there that looks a lot like gold braid. I haven't seen the thick hi viz yellow, but I did see some thick purple colored line on a jump in Peacock once that was just as thick as gold braid. Personally, I use standard 24# cave line. I'm not sure I understand the reason for all the other lines coming out lately. I've tried to get a hold of gold braid to carry for the occasional repair, but have been told the only way to get it is by ordering it in lots of 1000'.

    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Alachua, FL
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RN View Post
    . I've tried to get a hold of gold braid to carry for the occasional repair, but have been told the only way to get it is by ordering it in lots of 1000'.
    If you just want some to "patch with" either Jim Wyatt or myself usually have gold braid on hand, feel free to grab some anytime....

    Safe diving,

    Rich

    Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    And I was just in your area this past weekend! I'll be over that way again soon and stop by. Thanks for the offer.

    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    Well that is really unfortunate, what the hell are we going to do when the flow comes back?
    There will be a run on AL80's

    Last edited by Line Squirrel; 02-18-2008 at 04:16 AM.
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts