Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    76

    Default Saturday at Little River

    With the greatly increased number of folks cave diving both from the US as well as folks from abroad grows an increase of folks with little experience. There were a great number of people there Saturday with 7-8 reels run to the stake. The most disturbing thing was someone used gold braid to jump from the main line to the Harper tunnel. This could be potentially dangerous to the inexperienced. I know there were at least two groups there Saturday that was there for the first time. Just thought I'd mention it.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Personally, I think the main line should start at the stake.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    People have to learn someplace. Little River is about the largest and most suitable for that many lines. You really don't even need one since you can see daylight from the bottom of the turn to the surface. Don't get freaky on me guys, I am not advocating not running lines. I'm just saying you can get high in there and stay away from them. Are we all turning into a bunch of babies? Where are people supposed to learn? You all must be getting bored if all you have to complain about is too many lines in a HUGE cavern...
    Dang that Menopause has me going today..
    I love you guys, REALLY....

    "Philosophy is a purely personal matter. A genuine philosopher's credo is the outcome of a single complex personality; it cannot be transferred. No two persons, if sincere, can have the same philosophy."
    --Havelock Ellis

  4. #4
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rlc5925 View Post
    .... The most disturbing thing was someone used gold braid to jump from the main line to the Harper tunnel. This could be potentially dangerous to the inexperienced. I know there were at least two groups there Saturday that was there for the first time. Just thought I'd mention it.
    That is very disturbing. To those of you with more experience than me...is there any logical reason someone would be using gold braid to make a jump? I can't think of any...but...

    Had I seen that, I think I would have had to follow it in, find the owner, and ask "WTH?".

    Shirley

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  5. #5
    billyf
    Guest

    Default

    Explain Gold Braided Line???

    Did someone have a spool of gold line that they used for a jump???

    More likely it was #18 High viz yellow!


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    People have to learn someplace. Little River is about the largest and most suitable for that many lines. You really don't even need one since you can see daylight from the bottom of the turn to the surface. Don't get freaky on me guys, I am not advocating not running lines. I'm just saying you can get high in there and stay away from them. Are we all turning into a bunch of babies? Where are people supposed to learn? You all must be getting bored if all you have to complain about is too many lines in a HUGE cavern...
    Dang that Menopause has me going today..
    I love you guys, REALLY....
    People can learn to run a reel anywhere they want to. Just because the goldline comes out to OW or there's a "guaranteed" exit from where the goldline starts doesn't mean you're forbidden to run a reel, for practice or otherwise.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rlc5925 View Post
    The most disturbing thing was someone used gold braid to jump from the main line to the Harper tunnel. This could be potentially dangerous to the inexperienced. I know there were at least two groups there Saturday that was there for the first time. Just thought I'd mention it.
    I'd guess this is someone's well used hi viz yellow that's no longer that hi viz. I'd hope that even an inexperience team would notice the spool at the end of that line and turn back to the main line to either set their own spool or continue on the main line.

    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

  8. #8
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billyf View Post
    Explain Gold Braided Line???

    Did someone have a spool of gold line that they used for a jump???

    More likely it was #18 High viz yellow!
    Quote Originally Posted by RN View Post
    I'd guess this is someone's well used hi viz yellow that's no longer that hi viz. I'd hope that even an inexperience team would notice the spool at the end of that line and turn back to the main line to either set their own spool or continue on the main line.
    You guys are probably right...sounds logical. Whew!

    Quote Originally Posted by OneBrightGator View Post
    People can learn to run a reel anywhere they want to. Just because the goldline comes out to OW or there's a "guaranteed" exit from where the goldline starts doesn't mean you're forbidden to run a reel, for practice or otherwise.
    Amen! Well said, Ben.

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    76

    Default LR

    OK, just to clarify. sorry I brought up the reel.s But after 22 years of cave diving and hovering over the jump while people cleared out of the way I know the difference between hi viz line and gold braid. And for others wondering, gold braid is what is used for the permanent main line in Little River. I'm not complaining, not trying to stir up anything or hurt any feelings. Just thought some folks might find some usefulness out of the post. Thanks


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Hi, Don't feel bad, if every post anybody ever made was perfect or accepted by everybody it would be a boring world. I am sort of in the stand tall and don't be afraid to have an opinion or take it in the chin now and then group. I think there is a saying about that, "those who never fail, do so at the risk of never succeeding because they will not have tried" or something like that.
    I am curious why you think that jumping off a gold line is wrong. Where would you tie off at too jump to another line and keep a continuous line to the surface? For example, the little sidemount cave at the top of the second drop in the cave. I have always tied into the gold line. I have seen a lot of lines tied into gold lines over the years and am curious who taught you not to do that or where you got that impression? I see an article in the making here. Cindy

    "Philosophy is a purely personal matter. A genuine philosopher's credo is the outcome of a single complex personality; it cannot be transferred. No two persons, if sincere, can have the same philosophy."
    --Havelock Ellis


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts