Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,985

    Default Middle Ear Infections

    After coming down with a nasty middle ear infection over New Year's in FL (which is why I won't be diving this weekend) I've been thinking about what I can do to prevent these. Because obviously I want to be diving, and not to mention they're really painful.

    I only had one ear infection I can remember as an adult before I started diving, and that was when I was swimming at the YMCA 3-4 days a week. Since starting diving I've probably had 6 that required medical attention, both this one and the previous were middle ear infections.

    I was also wondering if diving sidemount could be making me more susceptible to these. Regular regulator switches during the dive are almost certainly going to keep more water in the second stage which could find it's way back up into the eustachian tubes. I normally treat externally after the dive, and I don't believe I've ever had an outer ear infection when I've remembered to do this.

    I'm starting to wonder if I might need to do something like this http://www.ent-consult.com/faq.html#irrigation as well as external prevention. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts on this vs the normal rounds of drops in the outer ear?

    Marbry

    Last edited by Webmaster; 01-17-2008 at 03:42 AM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot Springs, AR
    Posts
    88

    Default reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if I might need to do something like this http://www.ent-consult.com/faq.html#irrigation
    Marbry
    As a scientist I am always very leary of people who post quotes from research articles on their web site instead of posting the full article.


    I really doubt that the ear infection you had was related to getting anything up your nose from Ginnie. The bacteria that cause ear infections are totally different from the bacteria that would be found in the water at Ginnie. You'd likely be dead if you had an inner ear infection with the common organisms found in the water at Ginnie (especially becuase these are unlikely to be covered by whatever antibiotic you doctor put you on).

    I think the infection is more likely related to pressure equalization from diving introducing bacteria from you own nose and eustacian tubes into your middle ear.

    It may be that you were having more trouble than usual with allergies or mucus which may have in some way predisposed you to the infection. Or it may have just been bad luck.

    I think its a good idea to rinse the ears with an alcohol/vinigar solution after diving. But beyond that I wouldn't think you should need to do much more.




    (disclaimer: the above does not medical advise - please consult your doctor or DAN regaurding any medical questions)


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Eagle, Idaho
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if I might need to do something like this http://www.ent-consult.com/faq.html#irrigation as well as external prevention. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts on this vs the normal rounds of drops in the outer ear?

    Marbry
    I've been using Dr. Grossmans nasal irrigation for over 8 years and wouldn't be without one. Everyone I've know who has also tried them have have become loyal users as well. Used regularly it will keep your sinus clear and colds become a thing of the past. I haven't had any middle or inner ear infections since using it.

    These nasal irrigation systems really do work. PM me if you have specific questions.

    Dave Grimm


    Now there was only me and this timeless, eternal cave. I felt part of things, a tolerant guest.
    by Rob Palmer from "Deep Into Blue Holes"

  4. #4

    Default

    I use a 50% soultion of alcohol & vinegar to rinse my ears after every dive. I make 100's of cave dives annually and have never had an ear infection that kept me from diving.

    Jim Wyatt
    Cavediveflorida

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    One thing all cavedivers need to know is, how to tell the difference between middle and outer ear infections. Some GPs don't even know.

    If your ear hurts, or even just feels different, do this test. Pull on your earlobe. If the pain increases, you most likely have an outer ear infection. This is usually treatable with ear drops, prescribed by a physician. If you have no increase in pain, GO to a doctor immediately! Middle ear infections potentially can cause an eardrum rupture, and keep you from diving for months. In extreme cases, they can find their way into the inner ear, and do really serious damage.

    FWIW, I agree with mgersch, your own mucus is the most likely cause of middle ear infections, especially if you have a cold.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver27 View Post
    I've been using Dr. Grossmans nasal irrigation for over 8 years and wouldn't be without one. Everyone I've know who has also tried them have have become loyal users as well. Used regularly it will keep your sinus clear and colds become a thing of the past. I haven't had any middle or inner ear infections since using it.

    These nasal irrigation systems really do work. PM me if you have specific questions.
    If this is the little teapot gizmo with the salt packets??? I did this for the first time over the holidays since everyone I seem to talk to was sick and I had a three day trip planned. Boy this really works for clearing out the goo. The only question I have is is too clean, Too Clean? or is the gunk in there all bad? Any Doctors on the board?


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NW Alabama
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Ginnie is the only cave system that has given me ear infections. Never had one in 41 years before I dove there. After doing several dives there, I come home with problems. Many others have said Peacock does this to them, but never had any issues there.

    If cave diving were Star Wars, who would be Yoda?

  8. #8

    Default

    I got my only one ever in 20+ years of diving at Weeki Wachee this summer. Apparently it is VERY common among the mermaids.

    Have you asked for the water quality data for Peacock? It would be interesting to see what is in the water.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default data

    Quote Originally Posted by DeepSea View Post
    I got my only one ever in 20+ years of diving at Weeki Wachee this summer. Apparently it is VERY common among the mermaids.

    Have you asked for the water quality data for Peacock? It would be interesting to see what is in the water.
    You can find recent water qualilty data and reports at:

    http://www.mtsu.edu/~psyskip/wqwp.htm

    The NACD is collecting data on springs/caves water quality and posting results on the web. The page is scheduled to be moved to the NACD website soon, but this link works for now.

    In general the florida springs are pretty nasty right now, but change daily based on rainfall. E. Coli counts of 500 or more means "do not swim." The EPA closes public beaches when the e. coli reaches or surpasses 500 colonies (per 100mL). We've found over 500 at Peacock in the past, but not recently. However a few days of no rain, no flow, can change that almost overnight. Also, e. coli does not cause ear infections, but the conditions that promote e. coli, also promote most other nasty bacteria so e. coli is a good way to know how bad the water is in terms of bacterial infection.

    -skip

    Last edited by skip; 01-17-2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: add info
    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  10. #10

    Default

    WOW...Thanks for posting that information Skip. I would love to add it to my system pages.



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts