Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Challenge

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LA, CA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    So much of this depends on one's willingness to dive solo. If I'm with a buddy willing to dive solo, even as a pair I'd split up. Also you've pointed out a key issue - it would really help, once you've settled the diver down, to give the classic open water signal for "where's your buddy?" it's pretty universal, and would help one to understand whether to spend time searching or not. If he's coherent and you have wetnotes you may be able to get an exact last location from him. That would help a lot.

    Searches usually mean going slowly and deviating off the line, which makes the return swim pretty quick. I'd go pretty close to thirds before returning if I was hunting down the second diver.

    Andrew Ainslie

    Almost extinct cave diver

  2. #12
    Social Co-Director
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cocoa Beach
    Posts
    583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aainslie View Post
    So much of this depends on one's willingness to dive solo. If I'm with a buddy willing to dive solo, even as a pair I'd split up. Also you've pointed out a key issue - it would really help, once you've settled the diver down, to give the classic open water signal for "where's your buddy?" it's pretty universal, and would help one to understand whether to spend time searching or not. If he's coherent and you have wetnotes you may be able to get an exact last location from him. That would help a lot.

    Searches usually mean going slowly and deviating off the line, which makes the return swim pretty quick. I'd go pretty close to thirds before returning if I was hunting down the second diver.
    I think the consideration on sixths is that you might find him, panicked, almost OOA and alive. If it's near the end of thirds for you, could be trouble.

    Bob K

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Talking

    Well, lets not be too hasty to give this person your precious gas. There are other important considerations. First, have a close look at what kind of expensive gear the guy is wearing. Say, as example, he had a VR3, or a new 30 watt SALVO. This would be a good time to do some serious trading. Point at his VR3, and then at your long hose. See if a trade is there for the making. I mean, of course you would let him deco out on the computer, I mean we are not barbarians, just hard businessmen, kinda like a health insurance company. Of course, it helps if you can swim faster than the OOA diver, but that should go without saying. And think, if the person is unwilling to trade, Darwin might just complete this transaction for you.

    Taa Taa, and watch your SPG....... and do what I do, wear old cheap gear.

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  4. #14
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    Well, lets not be too hasty to give this person your precious gas. There are other important considerations. First, have a close look at what kind of expensive gear the guy is wearing. Say, as example, he had a VR3, or a new 30 watt SALVO. This would be a good time to do some serious trading. Point at his VR3, and then at your long hose. See if a trade is there for the making. I mean, of course you would let him deco out on the computer, I mean we are not barbarians, just hard businessmen, kinda like a health insurance company. Of course, it helps if you can swim faster than the OOA diver, but that should go without saying. And think, if the person is unwilling to trade, Darwin might just complete this transaction for you.

    Taa Taa, and watch your SPG....... and do what I do, wear old cheap gear.
    John,
    Thanks! I have diet Coke all over my monitor now! ROFLMBFAO!

    Shirley

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    TSS Costal, Afghanistan
    Age
    57
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    Taa Taa, and watch your SPG.......
    I would say to get the OOA diver out.

    1: If he is solo, then you don't have a buddy to worry about. Get OOA diver out.

    2: If he is with a buddy and not cave trained, odds are you will not be able to save set buddy if he bolted in the opposite direction looking for the exit. Get OOA diver out.

    3. If they are cave trained, then buddy would know to do a lost diver search until gas requirements dictated that he get out of the cave, therefore you don't have to go find him as he would be heading out anyway. Get OOA diver out.

    Seems like a simple solution to me.

    Mike Edmonston
    NAUI Technical Instructor
    Oxycheq Experimental Dive Team Test Pilot
    US NAVY Submariner TM2/ss 1988 - 1996
    Currently US ARMY Military Police NTM-A TSS-COSTALL Spin Boldak Afghanistan 2010 - ??
    Instructor Trainer and NATO Advisor to Afghan National Police Force and Afghan Border Patrol

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LA, CA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post

    Taa Taa, and watch your SPG....... and do what I do, wear old cheap gear.
    ...But then what are you going to barter with when you run out of air?

    What you REALLY need is a couple of fake VR3's. Since you're only likely to have this happen to you once, you can barter the fake VR3 and it doesn't matter when they find you cheated.

    Andrew Ainslie

    Almost extinct cave diver

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Winterville, NC
    Age
    57
    Posts
    644

    Default

    they probably have fake vr3s in nyc on canal st. i mean, they have fake rolexes and kate spade handbags...

    i'd flash ?, m(astercard), v(isa), a(merican) e(xpress), and the universal cash symbol (silt facing upwards) . after payment method is agreed upon, long hose given cheerfully.

    ok, kidding aside, i think the answers have been thought-provoking. once you actually do need to donate, y'all, would you isolate? i've had instructors say it's something you need to decide before the need arises.

    proud cave tourist!

  8. #18
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyDuck View Post
    would you isolate?
    Oh, boy. I'm going to LOVE hearing justifications for this.

    (Hint: there are four, and only four, reasons to isolate: burst disk, neck o-ring, valve seat assembly o-ring, and isolator failure.)

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    Well, lets not be too hasty to give this person your precious gas. There are other important considerations. First, have a close look at what kind of expensive gear the guy is wearing. Say, as example, he had a VR3, or a new 30 watt SALVO. This would be a good time to do some serious trading. Point at his VR3, and then at your long hose. See if a trade is there for the making. I mean, of course you would let him deco out on the computer, I mean we are not barbarians, just hard businessmen, kinda like a health insurance company. Of course, it helps if you can swim faster than the OOA diver, but that should go without saying. And think, if the person is unwilling to trade, Darwin might just complete this transaction for you.

    Taa Taa, and watch your SPG....... and do what I do, wear old cheap gear.
    WINNER!


    Everyone spends the first nine months of life in water. The lucky ones make frequent return visits.

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LA, CA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    Oh, boy. I'm going to LOVE hearing justifications for this.

    (Hint: there are four, and only four, reasons to isolate: burst disk, neck o-ring, valve seat assembly o-ring, and isolator failure.)
    Err... you left out the BEST reason - because it's pretty hard not to isolate if you're sidemount....

    Andrew Ainslie

    Almost extinct cave diver


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts