Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: oriskany in pns

  1. #11
    Genesis
    Guest

    Default

    The bulkheading is, of course, because this is a WARSHIP!

    If it gets holed, you had better be able to close off the flooding part, or she's gonna sink......

    I've done the Alabama "self-tour" and its the same way. There are definitely some small spaces in there.

    Permanent lines in wrecks are not normally done, but I may lay and leave a few in the Oriskany, with arrows, and hope that people don't do stupid #### like cut them.

    My understanding is that they have/are/will "clean" the tower for divers (e.g. weld open doors or remove them, etc) but NOT the below-decks areas; the theory being that everything below flight deck level is below "recreational limits" and thus the ordinary "PADI Diver" shouldn't be going down there anyway. This will be both nice and potentially bad news if someone who doesn't know what they're doing DOES decide to get in there, especially with a nice buzz (e.g. on air)


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Northern KY
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    I have some pics that I took of the Lex back in '97 as well. I'll try to dig them up and post them later. It was a very cool tour and ever since hearing about the sinking of the Oriskany I've been thinking about the different passages that I hope to see once down. 8)

    DeWayne

    The safest way to dive solo is to refuse to dive with an idiot. - Dave Sutton


    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce (1906, Devil's Dictionary)

  3. #13
    Guest

    Default

    For the northerners amoung us; The USS Intrepid is located in NYC, and is also an Essex Class carrier: http://www.intrepidmuseum.org


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    and thus the ordinary "PADI Diver" shouldn't be going down there anyway.
    Just wondering---is the "ordinary PADI Diver" anything like the the ordinary "YMCA Diver" or the "ordinary NAUI Diver" ?????This must be differet than the "ordinary GUE" diver??? Just a thought.---Don't take me serious.

    Ya Gotta Be Tough, If You're Gonna Be Stupid

  5. #15
    Genesis
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caver
    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    and thus the ordinary "PADI Diver" shouldn't be going down there anyway.
    Just wondering---is the "ordinary PADI Diver" anything like the the ordinary "YMCA Diver" or the "ordinary NAUI Diver" ?????This must be differet than the "ordinary GUE" diver??? Just a thought.---Don't take me serious.
    Hehehe.. naw, I won't.

    I do like their view though. It would rot to have the entire wreck closed off and 'safed', not that it would STAY that way anyway, given the enterprising nature of divers..... I think its a pretty good compromise to do it in the tower, but leave the areas below the main deck alone (well, other than remediation, that is.)


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Keller, Tx
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    The bulkheading is, of course, because this is a WARSHIP!
    smart ass!

    I knew you wouldn't be able to leave that alone. He He He He

    I think that the carrier (Sara) in Bikini Atoll is lined? They have made comments in the past that hard core east coast divers come down and dive the wreck all week, diving the passages. I am for one looking forward to this site. For me this would be a great rebreather Trimix Dive- another reason to BUY A REBREATHER!

    Later, Andrew

    PS- I was joking about being a smart ass! But you knew that!


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Douglasville, GA (just outside Atlanta)
    Posts
    9

    Default Will the lower decks be open?

    I had heard somewhere that the decks below the flight deck would be closed off to prevent diver accidents. I am now wondering if that is a true statement or not?

    I just hope the fishermen keep their lines out of the wreck. There might need to be a monthly "line cleaning" arranged if it gets like some of the artificial reefs off of PCB.

    Nothing can be foolproof because fools are very inventive.

    GG

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Near Destin
    Posts
    45

    Default Oriskany Photos

    Just got back from Pensacola. The Oriskany is definitely impressive. Can't wait for her to sink so we can dive dive dive... Looks like there are plenty of places to penetrate the tower and the main deck. I posted photos on yahoo at:

    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fun2ch...y.3PCBUybwqnyT

    Genesis will have some posted soon. Give him about an hour to get home and upload his photos…

    Don't Drink and Dive or Drink and Drive! -- but you can Drink and Run!
    Hashing - A drinking club with a running problem.
    FWB area hashes - http://www.ech3.com or http://groups.msn.com/SieteCervezaHashHouseHarriers/

  9. #19
    Genesis
    Guest

    Default

    Here 'ya go...

    Oriskany picture link

    I have about 20 images, all shot at 7mp native. This is 4 of them, in both low-res (512x384) and in the original resolution, which seem to be the best option to give everyone a good idea of how she looks in terms of the hull and options to get inside.

    WARNING - the originals are HUGE files, 3+MB each. However, the detail in them is exquisite; you can read the draft markings on the bow CLEARLY in the high resolution images. There are three "sectional" shots of the hull from the port side (the only side accessible, as the starboard is up against the pier and you can't get on that side to shoot images there), in bow, amidship and stern sections. I also took a shot down the profile of the bow from the starboard side, which was as far over to starboard of the vessel as I was able to get.

    It looks like there will be tremendous opportunity for penetration diving; there are huge numbers of penetrable hatches and the like, along with of course the elevator area into the hanger deck.

    Enjoy - I will put the other images up as time permits.


  10. #20
    Guest

    Default Re: Oriskany Pictures

    Thanks for posting the Oriskany pictures! I hope the sinking goes better than the Spiegel Grove.



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts