Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: oriskany in pns

  1. #1
    Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    1,476

    Default oriskany in pns

    The oriskany has arrived in pensacola. Just got back from a walk along bayfront auditorium just across from the port of pensacola where it is berthed. It is a sight to behold even at night. The tugs were still working at getting it moored. It is going to be quite a dive. Bill


  2. #2
    Genesis
    Guest

    Default

    I'm going over to take some pictures tomorrow... will be useful when she's down and ready to be "penetrated"


  3. #3
    Guest

    Default Re: Oriskany in pns

    Great news! Genesis, please share the pictures with us


  4. #4
    Genesis
    Guest

    Default

    Will - going to go over there with my digital (should give me plenty of resolution) and may also take the film camera (I have a LONG telephoto lens for it), which, depending on how close I can get, may be of some use.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Northern KY
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    Cool, I'm looking forward to viewing them as well 8)

    DeWayne

    The safest way to dive solo is to refuse to dive with an idiot. - Dave Sutton


    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce (1906, Devil's Dictionary)

  6. #6
    Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    I'm going over to take some pictures tomorrow... will be useful when she's down and ready to be "penetrated"
    I posted a photo from last night in the pictures section don't know how to provide a link here yet, have a couple more that will put up.. Am going to try for some nice shots today as well. Bill


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    178

    Default pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    I'm going over to take some pictures tomorrow... will be useful when she's down and ready to be "penetrated"
    It would be great if someone down there could get some pics from one the ship. Does anyone have an inside connection? In the meantime, I am stuck here in Ohio frezzing my ass off.

    Ya Gotta Be Tough, If You're Gonna Be Stupid

  8. #8
    Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    1,476

    Default Re: pics

    Quote Originally Posted by caver
    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    I'm going over to take some pictures tomorrow... will be useful when she's down and ready to be "penetrated"
    It would be great if someone down there could get some pics from on the ship. Does anyone have an inside connection? In the meantime, I am stuck here in Ohio frezzing my ass off.
    I have some connections and will definitely get the nickle tour on the boat a time or two between now and june...we are doing some of the science and economics associated with the project. Bill


  9. #9
    Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    I'm going over to take some pictures tomorrow... will be useful when she's down and ready to be "penetrated"
    I posted a photo from last night in the pictures section don't know how to provide a link here yet, have a couple more that will put up.. Am going to try for some nice shots today as well. Bill
    Here's a post with a link that might work. Bill

    http://cavediver.net/photopost/data/...riskany_sm.jpg


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Keller, Tx
    Posts
    326

    Default Sister Ship

    Hey guys-
    Last year I went on Vacation to South Texas and toured the USS Lexington, which is the same class (and sister ship) as the Oriskany, and I believe close to the same dimensions. I took a series of photos based around this very idea. I have pictures of hallways, Command and Control, interrior wiring conduits and the angle of the stairs.

    The interior hanger deck is huge and almost runs the length of the ship. Almost all sections of the ship (on the Lexington) start in the interior hanger and work out from there. I am sure that is centered around moving people and making things easy for the tour operations. This could benefit divers also. This staging area (interior hanger) could be a place to drop tanks, and stage decompression materials. One thing that I did notice (and scared me) these ships do not run halls the length of the ship. Instead they work within a system of bulkheads that sub devides the ship. I found it very frustrating to walk down a corridor and run into a wall (bulkhead) and have to retrace my pattern to find the bulkhead access. Also the ship was so large that the tour operator started at one entrance and worked there way through the ship and exited at a secondary point. This would not be a good idea until we could establish a distance to a secondary Known exit (double arrows.)

    There is going to be a creative issue with the depth and the hallways. The flight deck is what an estimated depth of 100ft that puts the interior hanger some where around 130ft, and the interior decks are going to be below that. The hallways are not wide, some interior spaces have reasonable walkways but the stair and certain passage ways are very narrow. I am curious how manifolded large doubles will work out, that will be very interesting.

    When I get home, I will upload the pics that I have.
    Andrew



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts