Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Jellyfish

  1. #1

    Default Jellyfish

    Has anyone ever seen a fresh water jellyfish in a cave. Today our team saw what we believe to be a fresh water jellyfish at 140 ft. deep in a yet to be disclosed system. we researched the internet and the pic's we found do not look like the critter we saw. My partner spotted it and we both observed it up close and agreed it was a jelly. Any info?


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Here is a good place to start.

    http://www.tamug.edu/cavebiology/index2.html

    You can email Tom Iliffe if you don't find what your looking for on his site. He is good at responding to questions.

    Keep us updated, sounds interesting.

    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Marsh Harbour, Abaco, Bahamas
    Posts
    270

    Default Cave Jellyfish

    Hi Mike,
    I'm just wondering if your system is possibly near the coast and tidally influenced? We have caves here in the Bahamas that have entrances both inland and offshore that draw in jellyfish from the mangrove swamps on the tides. It's not uncommon here to see casiopia - "upside down mangrove jellyfish" - in the caves very far from the entrance. If yours is a totally land locked system and you have not dropped below a halocline into salt water, then all bets are off. I would contact Tom Morris as he knows a ton about Florida cave critters. Tom Iliffe is more of an anchialine (near ocean) system expert. Either one may be able to help. I would love to see a pic of this critter some time.

    Take care Mike and safe diving,
    Brian

    Bahamas Underground
    www.bahamasunderground.com
    Bahamas Caves Research Foundation
    www.bahamascaves.com
    Phone: (242) 359-6128

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Aiken, SC
    Age
    63
    Posts
    23

    Default

    I know Bluestone Quarry in NC (http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/BlueSt...eResortNC.html) has freshwater jellyfish,
    so it's not much of a stretch for a freshwater cave to have them too.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Age
    55
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Most quarries in NC have these freshwater jellyfish, its not just bluestone, no these quarries are not tidally influenced.

    Here is a picture of one of em

    that is a diver's gloved hand in the picture behind the jellyfish to give it some contrast

    and another pic, this one not backed by diver's glove.



    These jellyfish are pretty small. Above photos by NCDiver: Steve Campbell

    Cheers,

    Tom T.

    My Dive Videos on YouTube
    Freshly minted Full, and feeling my rookiedom.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,450

    Default

    Freshwater jellies are common in AL quarries as well, I want to say even some of the lakes.?..


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Heber Springs, Arkansas
    Posts
    144

    Default

    I've seen them here in Arkansas as well. They are by no means common, but they are around. We usually see them most often in the fall. I identified the critter as Craspedacusta sowerbii. Click this link for more info and pics to see if this is what you saw. http://www.jellyfish.iup.edu/

    "See! If GEICO had taken THAT approach instead of saying it's so easy a CAVEDIVER could do it, I wouldn't be having an existential MELTDOWN right now!"

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Dive club I used to dive with in Michigan years ago used to do an evening jellyfish dive every fall. I never went, I always thought they were pulling my leg!

    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    328

    Default

    I've only ever seen them in a quarry here in Wisconsin. It's thought that the dormant form of them are transferred via birds. They only show up in late fall.

    Everyone spends the first nine months of life in water. The lucky ones make frequent return visits.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts