Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Default Sites near Daytona Beach

    Hello

    Can anyone help please? I am in Daytona later this week working at The J&P motorcycle store for bikefeast and was looking for a site that might be open locally.

    I would probably dive at night and solo so a non restricted site would be best that allows for this. I can dive both side or back mount and depth is not too much issue as long as I can get gas. (Ideas on this would also be a help).

    I know its short notice but I come out twice a year for the Bike weeks and have always drove up to places like Telford to get a night dive in. With that closed and also the drive is just too far every night. I never got in the water to after 10 which always scared the hell out of me. The journey back home was always tough not getting in to 4 or 5 in the morning.

    A closer site and as much info about it would be great.

    Rikki


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    On the other side of Morning.
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Other than the Atlantic ocean I know of no other places to dive in the Daytona Beach area. Not cave diving anyway.
    If you go West on Hwy 40 through the Ocala National Forest there are some springs to dive. I don't think any of the caves big enough to penetrate though at least not Alexander Springs and last time I checked Juniper Springs doesn't allow scuba.
    Continue West on Hwy 40 through the ONF and you'll come to the city of Ocala which has Paradise Springs which is cavern/cave but doesn't go very far. It's pretty big on the inside though and goes to about 140 ffw.
    SW of Daytona is Blue Springs State Park in Orange City which makes for an interesting dive but the cave dead ends at an impassable fissure with a blazing outflow at around 120 feet down. They also don't allow solo or night diving.
    I'm sure there are plenty of other sites that are unknown to me.
    Just do a Google search on any of the above for more info.

    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

  3. #3

    Default Re: Sites near Daytona Beach

    I would have thought you would go over to the Iron Horse and see DAC every night.

    Rick




    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Battistini
    Hello

    Can anyone help please? I am in Daytona later this week working at The J&P motorcycle store for bikefeast and was looking for a site that might be open locally.

    I would probably dive at night and solo so a non restricted site would be best that allows for this. I can dive both side or back mount and depth is not too much issue as long as I can get gas. (Ideas on this would also be a help).

    I know its short notice but I come out twice a year for the Bike weeks and have always drove up to places like Telford to get a night dive in. With that closed and also the drive is just too far every night. I never got in the water to after 10 which always scared the hell out of me. The journey back home was always tough not getting in to 4 or 5 in the morning.

    A closer site and as much info about it would be great.

    Rikki


  4. #4

    Default

    Hey Rick

    After too many years in the motorcycle industry and after talking to people from doors open to doors close about bike parts that will be the last place I need to be.

    I need to be under water. I may need to just get in the bath with my gear on!!!

    I am going to take a week out after Daytona to head north to dive anyway so if I can't find a place that is close I will hold off and be commited to the motorcycle world!


  5. #5

    Default

    cave ranger

    Thanks for the info I will check this out

    Rikki


  6. #6
    Honorary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    Posts
    1,065

    Default

    There is also a cave in Oak Hill in the St Johns River (it is easier to find in the winter).....................and those that are closed Apopka and Mystery.............don't get any idea's!

    a.k.a. Florida Cave Diver


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts