Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fort White, FL
    Age
    50
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Clean the valves!!!!

    My buddy had the valve in his 02 bottle detonate in his hand the other day. The valve seat burned up and exploded the bonnet out. He was very lucky. He still had all the pieces of his hand. It just took 50 stitches to put it all back together.

    Cheers!!

    Kevin

    PS, I just my Oral-B electric tooth brush last night to clean one of my valves. It worked much better than a ultra sonic cleaner IMO.


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    On the other side of Morning.
    Posts
    380

    Default

    All great recommendations and advice to be sure. I guess "if it's broke don't fix it" doesn't really apply to tank valves and I feel less ignorant now than I was prior to the original post.
    I ordered the Oxygen Hackers book today. I already have Vance Harlow's Regulator Maintenance and Repair. Is there anything that guy doesn't know?
    Just to be clear, I am not trying to do things on the cheap I just trust my own work ethic and attention to detail than I do some of the dive shops around here. " Oh sure dude, We'll like totally O2 clean that scoobie doobie tank thingy for you. While your here you wanna look at some boogie boards? They're on sale "dude".
    I've got a buddy helping me out with the valves tomorrow. He already has a Sonic cleaner and is more valve savy than I. At your advice Capt I will put those spare burst disks I bought at Dive Outpost to use and replace the old ones. Why not? What am I saving them for? Doubled up of course.
    It's all a learning process and I am working towards being as knowledgable and self sufficient a diver as possible.
    I appreciate all of the advice but I'm afraid I will have to decline Andrew's pitch for the Ivory dish soap. My manicurist "Madge" insists that I only use Palmolive. Hell, I'm soaking in it.

    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveranger
    While your here you wanna look at some boogie boards? They're on sale "dude".
    Are they O2 clean?

    Jim


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LA, CA
    Age
    67
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveranger
    I appreciate all of the advice but I'm afraid I will have to decline Andrew's pitch for the Ivory dish soap. My manicurist "Madge" insists that I only use Palmolive. Hell, I'm soaking in it.


    I know it sounds funny, but Oxyhacker also recommends Ivory as a possibility. And I find it easier to work with. But they're both pretty cheap! One good thing about Green, it REALLY lets you know if you didn't rinse enough as you'll taste it when you reassemble.

    Andrew Ainslie

    Almost extinct cave diver

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Marsh Harbour, Abaco, Bahamas
    Posts
    270

    Default Oxygen cleaning steel cylinders

    Hey guys, I have not heard anyone mention flash rust issues after cleaning steel cylinders. Out here where the air is so humid, drying them usually causes some flash rusting...I use Compound "O" after using whips and simple green scrub and this has worked very well. Afterwards I do an OCA drying for a few minutes.
    Safe diving,

    BK

    Bahamas Underground
    www.bahamasunderground.com
    Bahamas Caves Research Foundation
    www.bahamascaves.com
    Phone: (242) 359-6128

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billyf
    blue gold

    $30 per gallon

    https://tech-blue.com/secure.html
    Well worth the investment. Makes enough to last for years. Clean everything. Replace every thing possible during rebuild. When you are done, your hands and toothbrushes will be oil free for days.


  7. #17
    mfascuba
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angie Reim
    Quote Originally Posted by billyf
    blue gold

    $30 per gallon

    https://tech-blue.com/secure.html
    Well worth the investment. Makes enough to last for years. Clean everything. Replace every thing possible during rebuild. When you are done, your hands and toothbrushes will be oil free for days.
    I'm pretty sure that Blue Gold also has a rust inhibitor that will keep the flash rust from being a problem. I bought a gallon of it and a Crest Ultrasonics cleaner, my valves & regs are nice and clean.

    Mark


  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LA, CA
    Age
    67
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    Yeah - I found this on their website:

    Parts washed in Blue Gold and thoroughly dried are protected from surface rusting for approximately 7 to 15 days.

    So... I think I'm in the market for some!

    Andrew Ainslie

    Almost extinct cave diver

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    74

    Default O2 Cleaning

    Well,

    I just had to jump in on this one...

    None of you who purport to be experts have credentials...If you do please enlighten me...

    I was trained by the US Navy on Oxygen cleanliness and reactor plant cleanliness which by far exceeds any O2 clean that you know anything about.

    When it comes to OXYGEN CLEAN most of you do not have a clue...Have you ever heard of the CGA? That is the Compressed Gas Association, and they are GOD when it comes to any compressed gas. They are the experts in the field of O2 cleanliness in the civilian world. Have you ever heard of CGA G4.1? If you haven't you have no business telling anyone how to O2 clean a fork.

    OK pony up, tell me how you learned to O2 clean.

    By the way, Ivory, Simple Green, Dawn and any other thing on the shelf at the local 7-11 or Wal-Mart is not on the CGA list of approved O2 cleaners. If you want to know what is on that list I suggest going the the CGA website and buying the list. It only costs about $75.00, and it is not a very long list either...

    All of you O2 Cleaners, have a nice day...

    Capt Tom McMillan


    You can create any "Credible scientific evidence" you want if you just pay the right people.

    Before you can see the light, you must deal with the darkness...

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Why dont you enlighten us whats on the list so so we dont all blow ourselves up,and save us 75.00?



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts