Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 59
  1. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    Join the Chemical Light Society and you will see how little light you really need to dive a cave. Again, those are some very relaxing dives.
    I can believe that! In the past - if I got a little spooked in a cave or I was trying to work out a 'surprise' problem - I would close my eyes for a few seconds to slow down the breathing and heart rate. Now I just cover my light. Very mellowing.


  2. #42

    Default Re: 3 backups

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge
    Quote Originally Posted by Oister
    What is the Chemical Light Society?
    To qualify, you must make a cave dive where you and any buddies use only a chem light (cyalume).

    When I did my qualifying dive I was solo and had my primary and two backups as usual, but none got turned on. The whole dive was illuminated by a chem light.

    If you make one of these dives, PM tj and he'll give you access to the Chemical Light Society Forum.
    I will put that on my list for my FL trip in 2 weeks.


  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    I've been wondering the same thing about the Chemical Light Society. I think I'll be doing my qualifying dive in a couple of weeks, too.

    What's the best color to use? And where do you usually keep it?

    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lizdas
    when you turn on those little Attitudes, dont crank them down all the way, just enough for them to turn on. Then they wont leak. I think the plastic case distorts if you tighten them down too much. This may be true for other little plastic lights as well.

    the mask light issue touches a nerve. May I hijack & vent?

    1) No they are not blinding you. if anyone says "your mask lights blind me" ask them what happens when they illuminate their own watch with a $1200 21W HID. Consider dry caving - everyone has the brightest light they can afford on their helmet and nobody cares.

    2) No its not an entanglement hazzard. At most is less of an entanglement hazzard than floating around in complete darkness, fumbling for your secondary.

    I dive them on a mask for gauge, watch, and wetnotes, and they provide plenty of light when the primary fails. A primary failure and ten seconds once meant a missed jump in high flow for me. So spread the word, kids! Strap a dim light on your noggin even if you don't solo. And knowing is half the battle!
    I agree!!!

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,852

    Default Re: 3 backups

    ..

    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cazenovia, NY EX-Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Are these lights those little glow sticks that you tie to your tank when doing an open water night dive? It sounds interesting...something i will have to try.
    Question, which glow stick gives off the best light? Yellow, green, blue, red, purple? Or you could have something like a rave dive and just have all of them for an out-of-this world experience 8)


  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Alright...I'm going to be in FL May 18th.

    I'm bringing light sticks.

    Who wants to go diving?

    Everyone spends the first nine months of life in water. The lucky ones make frequent return visits.

  8. #48
    Guest

    Default

    Green.


  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NW Alabama
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Cavern-No light stick required
    Intro-Red
    Apprentice-Yellow
    Green-Full

    I'm a green guy.

    If cave diving were Star Wars, who would be Yoda?

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    What about blue?

    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts