I do not condone solo diving. You will find that 99% of cave divers will desert you in a heartbeat. These are the ones that think solo diving is okay. That same percentage of divers think of themselves first then there family, etc., and you will find out that you come last in there train of thought. The fact is you should think of your buddy first and when the situation turns for the worst you should be thinking that you need to get your buddy out to see his family and not be thinking of yourself. This philosophy I'm talking about (think of your buddy first) will seem to hold you back, but really when you find the right buddy (1% are out there) you will be much safer then with any of the 99% that you run into on a daily basis.

Rick





Quote Originally Posted by mmammana
Hi all,
I was talking to a friend, who is a climber, and we discussed different practice guidelines facing an accident in the mountain. He said that obviously, if a climber has some difficult to go on, the other must remain with him until a rescue is possible. What's the accepted behavior in a cave if, for example, you loose contact with your buddy or team? I've read somewhere, that the diver must search for about 5 minutes, and after this time, if he fails to find his buddy, it's ok to leave the cave. I understand that this practice considers that the other diver will follow the same procedure, and eventually both of them will be safe. But what if the other cannot get out for whatever reason? He said that this would be punished as abandonment of person, although this would probably result in two casualties. I said that both situations are different, because in the mountain you have plenty of air (probably the critical point in a cave). He said that there are situations in a climbing that will certainly pose a life risk too, but insists in that the buddy must remain with the victim. Please advice.