Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Branford, Florida
    Age
    76
    Posts
    679

    Default Contaminated Breathing Gas

    I would appreciate it if anyone could PM me on poss recent breathing gas contamination. Also, where could one have a cylinder gas analized for contaminates? Ken....


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Contaminated Breathing Gas

    Quote Originally Posted by DogDiver
    I would appreciate it if anyone could PM me on poss recent breathing gas contamination. Also, where could one have a cylinder gas analized for contaminates? Ken....
    If you want gas analyzed try Trace Analytics, they are in Texas.

    If you sign up with them you can priority mail your sample to them and get results by email a day or two later.

    Capt Tom McMillan


    You can create any "Credible scientific evidence" you want if you just pay the right people.

    Before you can see the light, you must deal with the darkness...

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Branford, Florida
    Age
    76
    Posts
    679

    Default

    Thanks for the PM's. I got very sick after a dive at Little River the other day. Difficulty breathing, severe vertigo, headache, nausea and some pulmonary edema. I'm an ER Nurse, as is my wife and we treated things at home with O2, solumedrol and rest. Things got better after 12 hours and resolved in 48. Multiple symptoms that are similar to DCS and Pulmonary Embolism. If I had been a nonmedical I would have gone to the Shands Chamber. Most likely was an inner ear barotrauma followed by some kind of allergic reaction to what? That is why I want that one set of cylinders checked. I get gas at most of the area facilities and never have had problems. If the analysis comes back as contaminates, I'll let the individual shop know. thaks Ken.....


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    400

    Default

    Glad you're ok! Please let us know how it turns out.

    Rick


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    21mi north o'DAB
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DogDiver
    ...Multiple symptoms that are similar to DCS and Pulmonary Embolism. ...
    Could that be just a flu compounded w/hypercapnia due to the flue?


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARY
    Quote Originally Posted by DogDiver
    ...Multiple symptoms that are similar to DCS and Pulmonary Embolism. ...
    Could that be just a flu compounded w/hypercapnia due to the flue?
    I tend to agree with Ary, but get it tested anyway.

    Thanks Ken for letting us know.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Branford, Florida
    Age
    76
    Posts
    679

    Default

    Broke the cylinders down today and they both exhibited a strong hydrocarbon smell. Both cylinders also had an oily film inside of them. The "O" rings on the crossover manifold had significant deterioration on them and crumbled on dissasembly hinting at hydrocarbon contact. These were only a few months old. I cleaned the cylinders and manifold as per CGA guidelines and had them refilled today. I'll have to have my regulators rebuilt before I can saftly use them as well. Symptoms and illness relate to hypoxia and pulmonary inhalation injury, not flu-like.

    Oh well will sea ya diving this weekend...Ken


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Wow thats scary!!!


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Ther has been a number of articles. do a search on the decostop

    http://thedecostop.com/forums/showth...hlight=TOLUENE


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nobody knows
    Posts
    50

    Default contaminated breathing gas

    Wow, this is interesting and concerning. I am thankful that nothing more serious happened to you on this dive. Several years ago, I had two single cylinders filled at my local shop that has been in business many years. The air had an odor, somewhat like manure, not that I go around sniffing in pastures, and I called the shop owner about it. Apparently, there was a malfunction in the auto dump on one of the moisture seperators. They discovered it after getting several calls. They checked out the entire system and everything else appeared OK and then ran checks with Draeger "sticks" for contamination. We went ahead and used the air on a quarry dive to check out scooters and video for an upcoming wreck dive. No problem, but I drained the cylinders, dropped a light into them and swabbed the bottom with sterile gauze on the end of a coathanger. No residue visible under a strong light with 50x magnification. Had the cylinders refilled with nitrox and dove the next week. This is still not something to be taken lightly.
    I am a commercial diver supt. and constantly have to remind employees that on our shallow water (150' or less) low pressure system that the air filter is rated for a certain CFM and that when they open valves from our volume tank to the filter system to open them slowly when pressurizing the diver's umbilical hose. The flow of the air can actually exceed the recommended CFM for the filter system. A 1/4" fitting can pass 27 CFM at only 100 PSI. If the filter is rated at 20 CFM, contamination can pass through. The 3/8" umbilical hose can pass a lot of "dirty" air to the helmet until the flow slows down. Glad you are OK. Safe diving. Oh yeah, if anyone ever has any gas with a color, call me, this I gotta see!!



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts