Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 25 of 25
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    First of all, I try to plan all my dives in advance, so I have a pretty good idea of what deco I need before hand. How else would you even know what deco gases to have available?

    It is a little harder when doing exploration dives, but those that do exploration often, quickly learn what deco is needed. (like Cindy).

    I guess I am just paranoid, but I dive with two (different brands) computers, and tables on every dive. Nevermind the fact that I have dived so much that I can make a good guess if I didn't have any of it.

    I remember an old rule of thumb. "Use it all". It basically means that you use all your available gas for deco. Like ARY said, you would get pretty cold

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    21mi north o'DAB
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW
    ...I dive with two (different brands) computers, and tables on every dive. ...
    Two different brands? Nitek and VR3, Hammerhead? They use different algorythm, if one goes to sleep how can you continue on the other? I would agree to have two bottom timers if you meant it.

    And true, someone may drop any but pressure gauge(s) in the most of a tourist class caves. When you dove it hundred times you know approx penetration distances and depth by visual reference and time can be estimate by pressure. And when you explore the new hole you dive a lot following the same route so you learn depth and distance pretty well after a while.

    ADD-ON: oh just forgot to mention, there is another computer DCAP-X right?


  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARY
    Two different brands? Nitek and VR3, Hammerhead? They use different algorythm, if one goes to sleep how can you continue on the other? I would agree to have two bottom timers if you meant it.
    I use a HydroSpace, and a Nitek. The reason for different brands is, if there is a software "bug", they don't both quit at the same time.

    Yes they have slightly different algorithems, and I usually stay until they are both clear. Usually within a minute or two of each other.

    I had one of the early Cochran Commanders, and they had a "bug". If you made repetitive dives to 100' for 30min (like at Devil's Eye), the deco was around 5 hours.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LA, CA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    I use a Nitek and a VR3. It's pretty interesting - the Nitek always clears quicker on the earlier dives but the VR3 clears earlier on later dives. So they clearly treat residual N2 differently. But otherwise they're pretty close except of course the VR3 throws in deep stops.

    I'm not paranoid enough to also use tables! :) But maybe sticking some pretty conservative ones in a pocket based on 100ft at 20min intervals from 1 hr to 2 hr 40 wouldn't be such a bad idea.

    Andrew Ainslie

    Almost extinct cave diver

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    When I do mix dives I cut tables and wear two computers. I don't have a mix computer. For exploring I usually can't cut tables. Most of the time I don't have a clue about how long or deep my dives will be and have two computers now. I use a Nitek3 and a duo, with the duo for a bottom timer. I also have a bottom timer but it is in the depths of my gear box and I can never find it when I need it. I have gotten pretty good at estimating and tend to throw my own deep stops in when I dive mix. I start with as shallow as 100 feet for a minute and work my way up. Most of the time the computer doesn't add any deep stops and the tables when I have them don't start that deep. I know I'm old and chubby so I think I need those extra deep stops. Before it even became a popular thing I noticed several things in common about the dive buddies I have had that have gotten bent, most got bent on mix, most skipped or hurried deep stops, most would be on 10 feet while I was still at 30, my own pet peeve is none of them did a surface interval and they all started to hurry hauling tanks so they can go home or to the next dive site. When I guide at deep spots I tell divers all this and very few listen to me. Either they have to pee or I scare them! Cindy

    "Philosophy is a purely personal matter. A genuine philosopher's credo is the outcome of a single complex personality; it cannot be transferred. No two persons, if sincere, can have the same philosophy."
    --Havelock Ellis


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts