Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    21mi north o'DAB
    Posts
    1,347

    Default Challenge (easy one). Deco.

    Leave tables and computers alone. Take calculator. Create safe realistic deco schedule for a dive BT 90 min at 100 ft. Make your gas selection. It is not a question from a fullcave written test right?


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Go deep. Stay long. Hope for the best!

    WJH


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Ok, I'll add to this one. Sneak diving, walked a very long way up a spring run with my buddy dragging a canoe and our gear. When we got there my buddy had forgotten his two computers. It was a very hot day so no way were we going back. He took my computer and I took my tables and bottom timer. We dropped into a S shaped opening. I was upside down and digging my way into a fantatic sidemount cave and guess what? I see a marble. Of course I had to have it and as I was stuffing it into my pocket, my tables blew away...I thought, OK well we can deco off my computer. I didn't know my computer had died and my buddy thought, OK we have tables and we can deco off those. To justify this a little it was hot, a great cave, a sneak dive etc....I know, no excuse but we did it! We did 90 minutes, max depth of 110, no tables or computer for deco. Without cheating..What would you do? Cindy

    "Philosophy is a purely personal matter. A genuine philosopher's credo is the outcome of a single complex personality; it cannot be transferred. No two persons, if sincere, can have the same philosophy."
    --Havelock Ellis

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    Roughly, and I am doing this off my head...
    60 feet stop for 2-3 min
    30 feet stop for 3-5 minutes
    20 feet go on oxygen for 14-18 minutes and never never forget to have a back up timer and a note book (wet notes) with bail out info and other minutiae clipped to the bungee in my pocket

    Dive safe,

    Celia

    PS That would be on 32% back gas and 100% deco gas (20 ft stop) and I can do the 90 min on backgas.....

    "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

    ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default if it were me....

    90 min at 100 feet is a bit much for my sac, so i'd be pushing it. But if possible I'd:

    50ft, 1m
    40ft, 1m
    30ft, 2m
    20ft, 7m 99%
    10ft, 7m 99%

    I assume backgas is 32%. and I have deco gas available.

    I then asked v-planner, and got much less deco time, and no deep stops.

    -skip

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  6. #6
    Guest

    Default Re: if it were me....

    Quote Originally Posted by skip
    90 min at 100 feet is a bit much for my sac, so i'd be pushing it.
    Well, 90 minutes at 100' means I'm using some backgas. The best I can do with a stage 80 only at 100' is about an hour.

    On a 100' dive I'd be breathing EAN34. I ALWAYS do a Pyle stop for three minutes, so that would be at 50'.

    I'd add a half-Pyle stop at 25' for three minutes, and then go on oxygen. I'd figure five minutes at 20', then since I'd guess I'd have fifteen minutes left, I'd do between twenty and thirty, kicking myself for not having a computer or tables. Better to do too much than too little. You can't un-ring a bell!

    Now after running it on V-Planner, I only needed ten minutes at 10 feet. So my penalty for stupidity was twenty minutes.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    301

    Default

    I'd do about 1/4 the bottom time for deco on O2. So roughly 20 minutes.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Northern KY
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    First, I would kick myself for not taking time yet to read those articles on ratio deco that I downloaded from the other place. Next I would try to match my current dive times and depths to a similar dive and pad the times a bit.

    DeWayne

    The safest way to dive solo is to refuse to dive with an idiot. - Dave Sutton


    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce (1906, Devil's Dictionary)

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LA, CA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    There doesn't seem tbe much reason to take chances. I'd do:

    EDIT for air

    50 ft 2 min
    40 ft 2 min
    30 ft 10 min
    20 ft 15 min
    10 - 15 ft 30 min
    At least 10 mins surface breathing while we tell each other what klutzes we are!

    Why not? I KNOW it's too much. But it's 10 to 15 minutes to be safe.

    Andrew Ainslie

    Almost extinct cave diver

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Oops, forgot to tell you I had a stage and was on air. CB

    "Philosophy is a purely personal matter. A genuine philosopher's credo is the outcome of a single complex personality; it cannot be transferred. No two persons, if sincere, can have the same philosophy."
    --Havelock Ellis


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts