Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default Challenge Question II

    I'll try one.

    Two divers enter a small system with viz about 10 feet. They follow the mainline for a nice easy dive. Backmount doubles. About 400 feet in the line rises up from the floor and goes overhead. This area is rather restricted with little clearance between floor and ceiling, but enough for backmount to get through. Silty too. Shallow at 18 feet deep.

    The lead diver feels some resistance as if the current is picking up, kicks a bit harder and soon can't move forward at all. He figures out it's the line wrapped on the right post. He reaches back to unwrap it and the small tight area coupled with the tension and movement causes a sudden painful leg cramp just as he disengages the line.

    The line goes twinging off into the void (under more tension than first suspected) and the leg cramp causes a reflexive straightening of the leg that sends the diver off to the opposite side in a huge cloud of silt (current is almost nonexistent, the silt cloud won't move or settle). As bad luck would have it the diver also rises up right into an overhead fracture and soon finds himself vertical and stuck tight with a cramping painful calf muscle. Depth at this point is about 4 feet (floor is down at 18 feet), viz is zero.

    The buddy sees the line suddenly jump to the left about 6 feet, his buddy jerking and seemingly "pulled" off to the right disappearing in the resultant silt cloud.

    Now what? What should diver do? What should buddy do?

    -skip

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    First I would pull out my Skiles Scanner and shoot the monster that just grabbed my buddy!

    Second I would check and make sure I am still on the line. If I am then I would tie off and do a lot buddy search. If I am off the line I would put my silt screw into the silt, tie off, do a lost line drill, find the line and swim up to see if my buddy was on the line. If they are not I would tie off to the line and go looking for him. If I don't find him and exaust my air I would have to leave, go back for more air and help if it's available. Either way I don't think any of my buddies want me to die looking for them. We all take our chances on this stuff. I personally know I don't want anyone to die for me. It would be a terrible decision to have to make. Cindy

    "Philosophy is a purely personal matter. A genuine philosopher's credo is the outcome of a single complex personality; it cannot be transferred. No two persons, if sincere, can have the same philosophy."
    --Havelock Ellis

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Assumptions - gas should not be any immediate problem.

    Buddy - Find and tie into line with an arrow pointing out. Swim up to edge of silt cloud before tiing in if possible. Move slowly in last known direction of lost buddy. Do a search, but slowly, no need to rush.

    Diver - take a few deep breaths and gently try to extricate self, keeping in mind last known direction the line zinged off to. No need to hurry or desperately try to free one's self as buddy is close and plenty of gas available.

    Buddy shows up - let him help you free and decide on exiting or continuing

    If buddy does not show up in 10 minutes, do what you gotta do to free yourself.
    Once free, do a lost line drill, get out and kick the crap out of your buddy.

    "Is this thing on?"

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Perhaps some noise would help. Bang on tanks. Strong sound/null sound (which ear is pointed toward your buddy - turn your head) and intensity changes might give a clue.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy
    If I don't find him and exaust my air I would have to leave, go back for more air and help if it's available. Either way I don't think any of my buddies want me to die looking for them. We all take our chances on this stuff. I personally know I don't want anyone to die for me. It would be a terrible decision to have to make. Cindy
    I totally agree. I would use that emergency reserve too looking for him, but would start exiting when I had maybe 800 PSI left. They're only 400 ft from entrance and depth is only 18 ft. So when the problem started, they had not even used 1/3 of doubles to get there. So it's not going to take 1/3 to get out. But I definitely would not sit there and die with him if I still could not find him. He could have found the line without you and started exiting.

    I'm not sure about everyone else's training. But this scenario was specifically addressed in mine. You figure about how much gas it will take you to get out of the cave and you look for the buddy till you get close to that pressure. And hope if you did find him at the last minute, you don't have to share gas. The last thing you want to do is pop up at the surface without a buddy and still have 1500 psi in your tanks.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    If buddy does not show up in 10 minutes, do what you gotta do to free yourself.
    Once free, do a lost line drill, get out and kick the crap out of your buddy.
    How do you figure any of this is the buddy's fault? He didn't get tangled, or let go of the line. He also didn't put the leader into the crack in the ceiling. Yes the buddy should look for the leader, but if he doesn't find him in a reasonable time, he should exit. Like Cindy said, no use for both to die.

    One big problem in this type scenario is lack of communication.

    The buddy on the line has no way of telling if the lost buddy has in fact found the line, and is on the way out.

    The entire question of separated buddies needs to be re-addressed at the training level. What were you taught in open water? Look for a period of time, and surface. The same applies here. There should be a time limit, as well as a gas limit, for looking for a lost buddy.

    The guys separated at Little river could have both survived if one hadn't stayed too long waiting for his buddy, who was already out. The survivor did leave a marker, but the victim never came out far enough to see it.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    round hill Va.
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Turn off my primary light and look for the glow of my buddies light. It's got to be close


  8. #8
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW

    The entire question of separated buddies needs to be re-addressed at the training level. What were you taught in open water? Look for a period of time, and surface. The same applies here. There should be a time limit, as well as a gas limit, for looking for a lost buddy.

    The guys separated at Little river could have both survived if one hadn't stayed too long waiting for his buddy, who was already out. The survivor did leave a marker, but the victim never came out far enough to see it.
    This type of information was addressed in my training. Are there instructors that are not teaching it?

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    If buddy does not show up in 10 minutes, do what you gotta do to free yourself.
    Once free, do a lost line drill, get out and kick the crap out of your buddy.
    How do you figure any of this is the buddy's fault? He didn't get tangled, or let go of the line. He also didn't put the leader into the crack in the ceiling. Yes the buddy should look for the leader, but if he doesn't find him in a reasonable time, he should exit. Like Cindy said, no use for both to die.

    One big problem in this type scenario is lack of communication.

    The buddy on the line has no way of telling if the lost buddy has in fact found the line, and is on the way out.

    The entire question of separated buddies needs to be re-addressed at the training level. What were you taught in open water? Look for a period of time, and surface. The same applies here. There should be a time limit, as well as a gas limit, for looking for a lost buddy.

    The guys separated at Little river could have both survived if one hadn't stayed too long waiting for his buddy, who was already out. The survivor did leave a marker, but the victim never came out far enough to see it.
    Wohhhhh! What is going on here lately, everybody interpreting something that was never said!!!

    I never said it was the buddy's fault, but if he cannot find you in 10 minutes in this situation (small cave, last known location very close) and you find no evidence of him tiing off/marking the line/searching, then he has some skill/attitude issues that need to be addressed.

    As said by at least one other person, I was also taught to figure a gas limit for a lost buddy search as I hope the others were. I do not think it's a training issue unless they recently stopped addressing it.

    "Is this thing on?"

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    I have actually faced this problem three times myself. Twice with buddies that went past me and actually made it out before I did and once I made it out before my buddy did. It's a tough decision to make. So much can happen in a cave that I doubt any instructor can cover every problem. The thing they need to do is train a diver to be able to do self rescue and be a thinking well trained dive buddy. Cindy

    "Philosophy is a purely personal matter. A genuine philosopher's credo is the outcome of a single complex personality; it cannot be transferred. No two persons, if sincere, can have the same philosophy."
    --Havelock Ellis


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts