Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default jackson blue lobsters...

    Ok...
    for all of you who have ever done a fair bit of deco at jackson blue, you are probably familiar with the little freshwater lobsters/crawfish that roam the bottom of the cavern. What exactly are they? I once saw locals collecting them, I assume to eat them... is this normal? Just curious if anybody knows anything about them... I had no luck identifying them online.

    -Matt


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tn.
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Evidently you've never been to New Orleans or have had craw fish etufey.
    It's the poor man's lobster.
    I have also used them as bait to catch catfish (but not the ones out of a cave ).

    Mike M


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chas., SC
    Age
    64
    Posts
    48

    Default

    someone... whom I trust... once told me that a crayfish is a very close descendant to the cockroach..

    Not an appetizing picture..

    Tony
    Chas., SC


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tn.
    Posts
    244

    Default

    But Tony, it's a damn good tasting cockroach if you cook it right.

    Mike M


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cazenovia, NY EX-Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    242

    Default

    They make good dive buddies if you just pick them up... or an underwater equivalent of cockfights to gamble on during deco!


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tn.
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Are they fighting or mating, I never have been quit sure but, I've seen a lot of them doing some kind of tango.

    Mike M


  7. #7

    Default

    The locals catch them with throw nets.

    I think the season is more towards spring, when you come out of the cave at night during that time of the year, you see a million little eyes staring at you.

    I've always assumed they were crawfish, even though some are pretty large.


  8. #8
    Honorary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    452

    Default

    This is a GREAT laugh if you have not read it before:

    Why Lobsters aren't food
    By Dave Barry

    http://www.getfishy.com/2006/03/why-...ave-barry.html


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tn.
    Posts
    244

    Default

    That's a great article, I love Dave Barry but, I'm still going to eat lobster lips & all.

    Mike M


  10. #10

    Default

    My vegetarian friend tells me that lobsters are crustaceans, spiders are arachnids and both are arthropods.

    I don't care, I'm eating them



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts