Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Honorary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    452

    Default Anyone heard of Goat Sink?

    At the sales meeting this week an agent announced a new listing of 10 acres with a sink hole on it. He said the owner's son had 'dove the cave'.

    When I asked the agent later for dive details he could only tell me the name the neighbors say it goes by.. "Goat Sink".

    I have found referance to a "Goat Sink" online, but can't tell where it is located. This property is off NEWBERRY road - SW 170th St, Newberry. Anyone know if this may be the right place for Goat sink? Has anyone ever been in it?

    (It is a bit out of my price range at $27k per acre, but I am interested none the less ; )


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Keller, Tx
    Posts
    326

    Default



  3. #3
    Honorary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    452

    Default

    Ya, I saw that. I pulled it up on the map and it looks like the same place. But being 'connected' to the aquifer doesn't mean there is a real cave.. hopeful but not concrete.

    I also saw a few articles about trogs that they were searching for in "Goat Sink" - sounds like there was a unique one in a nearby sink and someone was trying to map out it's area. The articles didn't give directions that I could see, so I am not sure if it is the same place or not.


  4. #4
    Guest

    Default

    The article mentioned that Wes did an expedition nearby. Why don't you just call him?


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    You can also try calling Buford Pruitt. He's both in the NSS memebers manual and the phone book. He donated Squirl Sink to a conservation organization. I would bet he knows that area well. There seems to be a lot of interest in these out of the way sinks and caves. You guys might want to consider joining the Florida Cave Survey, they have already documented over 900 sinks, caves etc. and if you find more would welcome the info into the data base. We have a cave survey group here, we should be using it more effectively. www.caves.org/survey/fcs/ Have fun, Cindy

    "Philosophy is a purely personal matter. A genuine philosopher's credo is the outcome of a single complex personality; it cannot be transferred. No two persons, if sincere, can have the same philosophy."
    --Havelock Ellis

  6. #6

    Default

    I took a walkabout along Dusty Trail road yesterday afternoon after reading this thread trying to find Goat and Hog sinks. I know a couple of the landowners there, including the one with the old Tioga phosphate mine on his property. He gave me some directions to Goat sink but it had been years since he went there - "Look for a clump of trees in the middle of a field" was the best he could manage. After about an hour of searching the sun was starting to set so I returned empty handed. He apparently guided the Florida Geologic Survey there previously, I tried downloading the sinkhole database off the FGS website to get more precise locations for the sinks but it is apparently not working.

    The Florida Cave Survey seems interesting, but all the links on that site seem to be down too...


  7. #7
    Social Co-Director
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cocoa Beach
    Posts
    583

    Default Re: Anyone heard of Goat Sink?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonfuzzy
    At the sales meeting this week an agent announced a new listing of 10 acres with a sink hole on it. He said the owner's son had 'dove the cave'.

    When I asked the agent later for dive details he could only tell me the name the neighbors say it goes by.. "Goat Sink".

    I have found referance to a "Goat Sink" online, but can't tell where it is located. This property is off NEWBERRY road - SW 170th St, Newberry. Anyone know if this may be the right place for Goat sink? Has anyone ever been in it?

    (It is a bit out of my price range at $27k per acre, but I am interested none the less ; )
    We could get a few people together and buy this, say, 270 people at a grand each. I'd hate to write up the closing papers, though

    Bob K

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    1,671

    Default It's called a LLC

    You set up an LLC to be the owner and all the donators are members.
    The only problem is it become commerical financing which has pretty high rates right now. (thanks Fed)so you are beeter if you can riase all of it. The biggest problem is not buying, it is paying the taxes every year You need to make sure you can get a Ag exemption or taxes will kill you.


  9. #9
    Social Co-Director
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cocoa Beach
    Posts
    583

    Default Re: It's called a LLC

    Quote Originally Posted by curtschu
    You set up an LLC to be the owner and all the donators are members.
    The only problem is it become commerical financing which has pretty high rates right now. (thanks Fed)so you are beeter if you can riase all of it. The biggest problem is not buying, it is paying the taxes every year You need to make sure you can get a Ag exemption or taxes will kill you.
    I think the plan would be to buy it, then partition and sell off most of it. Just keep enough for the sink, some facilites and parking.
    We can tell them we're raising crawfish

    Bob K

  10. #10
    Guest

    Default Re: Anyone heard of Goat Sink?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK
    get a few people together and buy this, say, 270 people at a grand each.
    If you can make that 1,000 people at $270 each, I'm in!



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts