Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Posts
    48

    Default Ginnie Springs Cave Diving After Storm Idalia?

    I was planning cave diving in Ginnie Springs on Friday; I guess, it may not be possible now being under Idalia?s path. However, I?m wondering what should expect to happen if it hits the area, from Wednesday to Sunday, for cave diving. They plan to reopen on Thursday ?depending on park conditions?.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    Would depend on how much damage I would have a plan B


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    roadkill

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Branford, Florida
    Age
    76
    Posts
    679

    Default

    Ginnie usually closed on holiday weekends. Friday thru Monday.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    State parks are closing and re-opening can depend on number of trees down and damage.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Thank you all for your comments; very appreciated.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Active Duty
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Ginnie was open this weekend, along with LR. Talking with the staff at LR, they anticipate peacock being closed for several weeks due to the down trees.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Citrus County, FL
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Jay View Post
    Ginnie was open this weekend, along with LR. Talking with the staff at LR, they anticipate peacock being closed for several weeks due to the down trees.
    I'm probably the only one that thinks this, but I don't know why the state park system (blaming the SYSTEM, not the individual park rangers here) doesn't do some preventative maintenance for storms with the amount of trees there. Maybe they already do, but it seems like every time a hurricane rolls through, it's the most affected state park I hear of.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Six Feet Under View Post
    I'm probably the only one that thinks this, but I don't know why the state park system (blaming the SYSTEM, not the individual park rangers here) doesn't do some preventative maintenance for storms with the amount of trees there. Maybe they already do, but it seems like every time a hurricane rolls through, it's the most affected state park I hear of.
    They absolutely do but they?re also trying to balance keeping everything ?natural? for both aesthetics and the local wildlife. I get your point but our parks and park rangers are underfunded and have enough work as it is.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    I get your point but our parks and park rangers are underfunded and have enough work as it is.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good point. Of course all the people very anxious for their favorite park to reopen for diving, are offering to help with clean up to speed up the process. State parks appreciate their volunteers.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Citrus County, FL
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    They absolutely do but they?re also trying to balance keeping everything ?natural? for both aesthetics and the local wildlife. I get your point but our parks and park rangers are underfunded and have enough work as it is.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No doubt, that's why I specifically mentioned the system and not the rangers. I've never had anything but positive interactions with them and they've always been helpful at pretty much every state park I've been to, just seemed like the state system as a whole should take the "ounce of prevention" route while keeping things as natural as possible, if the clean-up work is going to have to be done either way. My wife doesn't dive, but we do camp and hike in some other parks more local to us (Fort Cooper is right down the street from my house).

    As for clean-up - I'm on the list as of today (sent Terry a message about nine days ago but I assume it didn't give a notification since we were not friends on Facebook yet), but was told this morning it will be a while before Peacock can be opened due to power lines down that have to be mitigated/cleaned up before volunteers can enter. Don't have much in the way of tools (except small power tools and hand tools, anyways) but still glad to be of some service if possible.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Peacock Springs and the tropical storm
    By Kelly Jessop in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-17-2020, 08:17 AM
  2. Ginnie Springs open for diving and all activities
    By connielore in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 09:16 PM
  3. Spring Into Safe Cave Diving - Skill Review & Refresher - April 11 at Ginnie Springs
    By Serota in forum Cave Diving Events, Socials, Workshops
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-21-2009, 10:07 AM
  4. Ginnie Springs Open for Diving
    By Gary in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 11:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts