Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Montreal, Can
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby
    Just for giggles, this weekend I am going to get on my lathe and see if I can turn down a old K vlave to half inch thread.
    This was suggested to me as an option: let us know how your experience turns out......

    Bernie
    Naui 1994
    Naui advanced 1995
    TDI nitrox 1996
    Full cave NSS-CDS 1998
    Abe davies 2001
    IANTD trimix 2002

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    348

    Default

    The hard part will be getting it to lock in and center in the chuck.

    I'm sure if I try hard enough I could have a missing tooth by Monday.

    I know how to thread items but I don’t know what is involved with tapering the tread to NPT. If this works I guess people could send me valves to mill down then thread. If the valves chuck right I could cut a valve in about an hour. I wonder if there are any strength issues when milling down the valve that far? I would have to do some kind of safety waiver with each valve. What would people be willing to pay for a custom threaded valve?

    UPDATE: Initial tests are saying that its going to be hard with a DIN valve because the top of the valve is not semetrical enough to get the threaded section to spin on center. More to come later . . .


  3. #13
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    I have heard several people who have been successful in converting a normal K valve into a 1/2" tapered valve-maybe worth a forum search.


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    There is an easier way to rethread one. Take it to an old plumber, he can clamp it in a vice and use a pipe threading die on it. It might be helpful to turn it down to the size of 1/2" pipe first

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #15

    Default

    Bernie: Check with Robin here

    http://www.bobsscuba.com/main.html

    Bob has been in it since the early 50's and has more old stuff than you can shake a stick at and I know I have seen a few on old bottles there..I have an 1 old 1/2 I will send you for shipping only if you pm me your email.



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts