Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    High Springs
    Posts
    12

    Default What's with those GUE divers wearing wrist compass'?

    I've never understood why GUE divers wear a wrist compass. I get it in Mexico where you might surface and need to find your way back in the jungle. But other than that it's useless for survey, and you're not finding your way out of a cave with it. Is it just a gimmick?


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Cincinnati / High Springs
    Posts
    124

    Default

    personally, I've not used it as a primary navigation tool in cave, but have used it to confirm my mental map after passing through twisty bits. haven't done tech side, so cant speak for those cases.

    I do use it regularly in lower viz open water, and that's good enough for me to have it as part of standard kit. hate faffing with buttons on the dive computer if i can avoid it.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cozumel, Mexico por el invierno
    Posts
    144

    Default

    I thought everyone knew this. It is used primarily as a navigation tool/aid in the Ginnie Springs parking to get to the spring run in periods of extreme low visibility when the entrance is obscured by partying campers and tubers.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    high springs
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macado View Post
    I thought everyone knew this. It is used primarily as a navigation tool/aid in the Ginnie Springs parking to get to the spring run in periods of extreme low visibility when the entrance is obscured by partying campers and tubers.
    Why didn't I think of that? I live here!!


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    High Springs, FL
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    I always wear a wrist compass and don't have gue training.
    As I'm learning a cave I use it to confirm tunnel directions
    I also use it to give a point of reference.
    It's useful during semi blow outs.

    Why wouldn't you wear a wrist compass, that's a better question.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Antonio,Tx
    Posts
    240

    Default

    I use it to help get a general direction and orientation of the cave. Its probably overkill, but I like doing it.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    As the de facto GUE ambassador on this board, I would like to hear your arguments against wearing a compass.
    If you can make a good point, I'll bring it up at the next meeting at the compound and we might change that rule.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Antonio,Tx
    Posts
    240

    Default

    I too would like to hear your arguments about wearing a wrist compass. I have never dove Florida caves, but in Mexico as mdax said, its a good tool to help familiarize yourself with the cave. I'm not GUE either, Just something Ive always done.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    I too would like to hear your arguments about wearing a wrist compass. I have never dove Florida caves, but in Mexico as mdax said, its a good tool to help familiarize yourself with the cave. I'm not GUE either, Just something Ive always done.
    The ONLY time I've ever used a compass in a cave was for mapping (dry), it isn't like you have a cave map with you when your diving. I minimally use a compass when I'm openwater diving, it is almost always natural navigation, though it makes sense to have one in openwater for orienting while submerged (when required).

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    I won't provide arguments for or against using a compass, that is a personal decision,but I tend to subscribe to minimalism, if you don't need it, don't take it. What I will share is a conversation with a group of GUE divers we had several years ago. Since this wasn't on a public forum,but a casual conversation over picnic table pontificating, they admitted carrying the compass was a compulsion due to being a required kit item,but none said they ever used it for any type of navigation. Their basic point was cave navigation and lines allowed locomotion in that cave, and a compass would be handy if off the line in lights out or silt out, which would render the compass useless. There is a story I recall where a compass did save a team from demise. A group laying line and surveying lost the end of a line that wasn't anchored. They did a reverse shot of their survey data and found the line,but there are a couple factors, having compass shots and clear water.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick


 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Need a wrist compass...
    By Danseur in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 10:35 AM
  2. WTB: Suunto SK5 or SK6 wrist compass
    By FW in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-12-2011, 08:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts