Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.

View Poll Results: Happy with current accident analysis and reporting system

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    6 5.31%
  • no

    107 94.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 128

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TraceMalin View Post
    I'm a volunteer RRSOM/Diver with IUCRR. According to the Current RRSOM Manual:



    The IUCRR exists to assist law enforcement. If the official position of the organization has changed regarding "and will be posted to the IUCRR Web site" I think that is something that needs to be addressed either by adhering to that policy or changing the standards to reflect that information will only be shared with law enforcement.
    I appreciate this entire paradigm that has been established, and that job that has been done, but since cave diving is built upon accident analysis, where is this information? Just imagine if "Blue Print to Survival" was written now- cave diver x was recovered from LIttle River, nothing to report; cave diver y was recovered from Ginnie, nothing to report. Who hasn't learned anything from Blue Print, even veteran cave divers learn from it. Was Sheck ever rebuked by family/law enforcement or sued in a court of law? No, if things are reported objectively and tastefully, I think we can have accident analysis, and still perform the function of IUCRR. I knew Henry Nicholson who created the basis of this, and don't ever recall him not wanting accident analysis provided in a reasonable time after an accident.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    I have zero faith the cds could even get halfway through the process of getting this approved let alone actually going full bore and accomplishing it.
    I?ve said for years the cds should give up training and focus on conservation, land management, and public relations. Adding a recovery team would fit well with that idea.
    Unfortunately over the past 6 years or so the cds has become a broken organization that cant even manage their membership. So managing to get to the point of having a recovery team is extremely unlikely. I?d like to see it happen, but it aint happening.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    I have zero faith the cds could even get halfway through the process of getting this approved let alone actually going full bore and accomplishing it.
    I?ve said for years the cds should give up training and focus on conservation, land management, and public relations. Adding a recovery team would fit well with that idea.
    Unfortunately over the past 6 years or so the cds has become a broken organization that cant even manage their membership. So managing to get to the point of having a recovery team is extremely unlikely. I?d like to see it happen, but it aint happening.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a solid group of guys who have recovery skills/ experience who are fed up with IUCRR and their "policies". Its really not that hard to move that group over to the CDS.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    There's a solid group of guys who have recovery skills/ experience who are fed up with IUCRR and their "policies". Its really not that hard to move that group over to the CDS.
    I agree, getting the recovery team switched is the easy part. The legal aspect will be tough and honestly just getting the cds organized enough to actually move forward with it is the hardest part. I hope that the new blood in the cds will make the changes for something of this proportion to happen. But imo its too far gone. I dont foresee it happening. I hope I?m pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it.
    How long did it take to get any sort of hold on membership information/database? Way too fing long.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Ski resorts have fatalities too and don't get sued or shut down.


  6. #6

    Default

    Nice pen-name...(nom de plume)


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    At least there’s a functioning Rug and Broom committee within the IUCRR.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    alright so now I'm curious where that report is since they clearly stated it would be released and there is no way that the case is still open.
    Also curious who the 3 people so far are that voted they are happy with our current "system" and if they'll actually speak up and say why they're happy with the current "system".

    Also of note, I really don't care about the accident analysis portion of the IUCRR. I honestly couldn't care less about that if that is the part they are worried about since that is opinion based. Give us the recovery facts and let us analyze on our own, nothing anyone can do to you about posting those recovery facts literally the day the body is recovered. The minute Bozanic as database manager receives that report it should be entered into the database and published. The opinions on analysis can wait, let the CDS do it at the conference, let the people do it on forums, whatever, but the recovery sheets should be posted immediately. I have experience in database creation and management and sent Jeff a note a few days ago offering directly to assist if requested since the emails sent off last year went without response.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Alexandria Bay, NY; Mt. Pocono, PA; Riviera Beach, FL
    Age
    58
    Posts
    188

    Default

    I don't know if the magazine is still around, but when I was skydiving in the 1990s our drop zone got "Chuting Star" every month. Every skydiving accident that occurred the month before was printed including the decedents' names, the facts of the accident, and expert recommendations to prevent a similar accident from happening to you. That would be great if UWS or another magazine did that.

    Trace Malinowski
    "Through all of my seasons and all of the reasons, I've stayed on this circuit for me." - Chris Ledoux

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Can anyone who's a US citizen just make a FOIA request for accident reports? The names could be taken out and a summary could be published on a forum or in some magazin like Quest as Trace suggested. Someone posted an sample request letter a while back... sounded like it just cost a couple of bucks and a few emails. If it's that easy to get these reports why even bother with the IUCCR reports?

    What I wonder is, if it could have a negative impact on cave access when reports are published more publicly rather than on a forum like this. Cave diver should have access to reports but maybe I'd be better not to have it on places like scubaboard or other places with lots of non-cave diver readers.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Accident Analysis
    By OFG-1 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 01-31-2018, 03:59 PM
  2. Accident Analysis II
    By skip in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 07:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts