Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MORGAN View Post
    I'll consider myself corrected.
    Its an extremely common misinterpretation. Cows having four stomachs has almost become a colloquialism due to how common the misconception is.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Its an extremely common misinterpretation. Cows having four stomachs has almost become a colloquialism due to how common the misconception is.
    Perhaps the term "polygastric" adds to the problem. As the grandson of a dairy farmer and a former wildlife biology major who has butchered quite a number of steers and deer, I'm familiar with the anatomy. Both my family and my professors back in the ancient times referred to the four chambers of the complex ruminant stomach as the four stomachs. I'm glad to have it clarified. It will give me something new to ruminate on. I draw the line at chewing a cud, though!


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MORGAN View Post
    Perhaps the term "polygastric" adds to the problem. As the grandson of a dairy farmer and a former wildlife biology major who has butchered quite a number of steers and deer, I'm familiar with the anatomy. Both my family and my professors back in the ancient times referred to the four chambers of the complex ruminant stomach as the four stomachs. I'm glad to have it clarified. It will give me something new to ruminate on. I draw the line at chewing a cud, though!
    I agree theres lots of reasons its become so misinterpreted.
    I see what you did there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sskasser View Post
    Because the cow dialect contains less characters, necessitating a duplication when translating. P is also the same. Having two stomachs requires that they spend less time studying phonics.
    What's much more important than how many stomachs a cow has is that the above is grammatically incorrect -- things that are enumerable uses "fewer", e.g. I have fewer tanks than I need; things that are quantifiable use "less", e.g. I have less air in my tanks than I need.

    You're welcome.


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    21mi north o'DAB
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    I guess P would be an easy as Poo

    ARY (Photo, video)

  6. #16
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychDiver View Post
    What's much more important than how many stomachs a cow has is that the above is grammatically incorrect -- things that are enumerable uses "fewer", e.g. I have fewer tanks than I need; things that are quantifiable use "less", e.g. I have less air in my tanks than I need.

    You're welcome.
    Oh, oops! It was actually an extra "s" causing the issue. It should have read "contains less character", since, really, cow language just does not have that much character, "less" even. Thanks for highlighting my need to review my posts! You ROCK, or are a rock? Or really like wet rocks?

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  7. #17

    Default


    Richard Blackburn
    All comments are my own.

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Moo MOOOOO MOOOOO
    MOOOOOO
    Moo Moo MOOOOOO Moo

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  9. #19
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WEPIV View Post
    I like Shirley's educated, enlightened answer.
    (Also, thanks again for sending me the mag hard copy!)
    I was able to easily "sign" the Cow Springs diving waiver too yesterday. Now I just have to get my EF high enough again to cave dive...
    Yay, you are so welcome!

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-31-2016, 10:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts