Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default Hog loop on a CCR

    I've seen ccr people who have their long hose around the neck like you would on oc and and GUE JJ dude told me it's so you have the same config and procedure as on oc.

    I don't understand that logic though. On the breather you can't donate what you're breathing and you would have to come off the loop. Close the loop, push it over your head, unclip the reg and donate, than get back on the loop... that's not the same procedure as on oc. Having to get off the loop in an already stressful situation sounds like a bad idea. Lots of room for mistakes it seems.
    Is anyone here who does that? Just attaching the reg to the d-ring on a break away connector without the hog loop sounds way easier.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Yes that is the GUE standard procedure taught during CCR training. You can't really handle the long hose otherwise if you have backmounted Dil/Bailouts. Sidemount bailouts could allow your option.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lord1234 View Post
    Yes that is the GUE standard procedure taught during CCR training. You can't really handle the long hose otherwise if you have backmounted Dil/Bailouts. Sidemount bailouts could allow your option.
    Ok, I see. It's because there is no other option when using BM BO rather than wanting to use the same procedures. That makes more sense to me than what I was told before. thx

    Quote Originally Posted by lord1234 View Post
    The alternative of keeping the regs stowed to the bottle as when sm?ing bailout imo isnt ideal. Theres too much chance for the reg to move out of position leaving you flailing to find it. I find around the neck is way better. I could see having the hose just come up to a dring on a breakaway. I did change compared to wht I was taught a little. I did choose to keep my long hose snap bolt on a thin very easily breakable zip tie just like Edd teaches in sm. That way at least if the poop flies I can break away the long hose rather than adding the 4th step of unclipping a snap bolt to the equation.
    But if you sidemount your BO you could just clip into the D-ring with cave line and the reg wont go anywhere. It'd be one step instead of 3 or 4. Going of the loop still seems pretty involved in an emergency sitution. Not that I would know from experience.
    Did you sm or bm your BO in MOD1 and in cave class? Did you get to pick or is there a Fathom class standard configuration?


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    Ok, I see. It's because there is no other option when using BM BO rather than wanting to use the same procedures. That makes more sense to me than what I was told before. thx


    But if you sidemount your BO you could just clip into the D-ring with cave line and the reg wont go anywhere. It'd be one step instead of 3 or 4. Going of the loop still seems pretty involved in an emergency sitution. Not that I would know from experience.
    Did you sm or bm your BO in MOD1 and in cave class? Did you get to pick or is there a Fathom class standard configuration?
    I didn't take Mod1. I went from Tech1 to GUE CCR1. I dive a JJ not a Fathom. Rddvet dives a Fathom afaik.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    Ok, I see. It's because there is no other option when using BM BO rather than wanting to use the same procedures. That makes more sense to me than what I was told before. thx


    But if you sidemount your BO you could just clip into the D-ring with cave line and the reg wont go anywhere. It'd be one step instead of 3 or 4. Going of the loop still seems pretty involved in an emergency sitution. Not that I would know from experience.
    Did you sm or bm your BO in MOD1 and in cave class? Did you get to pick or is there a Fathom class standard configuration?
    Fathom class is what you want it to be. My wife and I did it in sm bailout. She now only dives the fathom gue style. I plan to go back and forth. I bought a second can from charlie to make it easier asy to flip back and forth. Just cant dive for another couple months to use it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    I go around the neck. If I?m diving with someone new I always expressly go though with them that if I need to give you the long hose it will tkake 3 steps. Close dsv, loop over head, pull long hose. It actually doesnt take very long though. We drilled the hell out of it and its second nature. Its shockingly faster than you?d think. One pro to owning a unit thats hard as hell to flood is if I for some reason dont fully close the dsv due to stress my unit can handle a small flood.
    The alternative of keeping the regs stowed to the bottle as when sm?ing bailout imo isnt ideal. Theres too much chance for the reg to move out of position leaving you flailing to find it. I find around the neck is way better. I could see having the hose just come up to a dring on a breakaway. I did change compared to wht I was taught a little. I did choose to keep my long hose snap bolt on a thin very easily breakable zip tie just like Edd teaches in sm. That way at least if the poop flies I can break away the long hose rather than adding the 4th step of unclipping a snap bolt to the equation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    441

    Default

    There is also argument to be made that if diving with an OC team member, in that case it might make sense to keep it over the loop. That opens the whole "is diving mixed teams a good idea".

    Also, if diving with another CCR diver, getting to the point of donating a reg involves cascading failures. After the first failure you should already be switching to having the long hose over the loop. In case you do have to donate...before your buddy even comes close to asking for it

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lord1234 View Post
    There is also argument to be made that if diving with an OC team member, in that case it might make sense to keep it over the loop. That opens the whole "is diving mixed teams a good idea".

    Also, if diving with another CCR diver, getting to the point of donating a reg involves cascading failures. After the first failure you should already be switching to having the long hose over the loop. In case you do have to donate...before your buddy even comes close to asking for it

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Agree. All of that was very indepth discussions in my original ccr course. It was not a gue course, though it was taught by a gue instructor and we were all very gue-centric in our diving.
    I definitely am not a huge fan of mixed teams for that reason. One other addition is that Ken Sallot says that the one time (I think one time) he had to actually donate his long hose was to a random solo diver around the hill 400. So being prepared at all times and practicing long hose donation while on the loop is important.
    * ken can clean up any incorrect info


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Agree. All of that was very indepth discussions in my original ccr course. It was not a gue course, though it was taught by a gue instructor and we were all very gue-centric in our diving.
    I definitely am not a huge fan of mixed teams for that reason. One other addition is that Ken Sallot says that the one time (I think one time) he had to actually donate his long hose was to a random solo diver around the hill 400. So being prepared at all times and practicing long hose donation while on the loop is important.
    * ken can clean up any incorrect info


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was Little River, but it's why I will always have a 7' hose while diving in the overhead.

    Ken Sallot

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cozumel, Mexico por el invierno
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    I've seen ccr people who have their long hose around the neck like you would on oc and and GUE JJ dude told me it's so you have the same config and procedure as on oc.
    For what it's worth I'm not anywhere close to GUE nor do I dive a "GUE-compatible" rebreather but I've always dove with a second stage HOG looped around my neck on CCR but it was mostly for me to use. That is how I was taught in my MOD1 and MOD2 classes. I have just found it routes cleaner than having a regulator on a d-ring. I do explain to new dive buddies that I "can" donate it using the procedure above but I have to go off the loop or I can always donate a regulator from my other bailout bottle which has a 5' hose.

    Up until recently I did not have a BOV (another controversial subject in itself I guess). Having a fully charged and on second stage around my neck has always allowed me to bailout very quickly. It eliminates the step altogether of having to find and pull the 2nd stage off my bailout. I've tested it numerous times and had to use it in one very real scenario. It works.

    I recently got a new rebreather with a BOV so now I've got back to having my second stage stowed on my bailouts. This is what I do but I'm sure it's "wrong" but it works for me. I'm open to better systems but I'm comfortable with this approach.



 

Similar Threads

  1. ScubaForce Sidemount DSV, loop, and mushroom cadies
    By patpicos in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2018, 03:28 PM
  2. 8000 Feet, One Spool and One Total Loop Failure
    By Luxrok in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 03:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts