Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Where the shore meets the ocean
    Posts
    72

    Default How often should you cave dive?

    As someone who does not live near caves, I will be driving a good 14 hours to the site or taking a plane if Covid situation allows. It makes me wonder, before I spent major bucks on getting cave certified, how often does one need to be cave diving to keep their overhead skills sharp? I am sure that there are plenty of cave divers who are as geographically disadvantaged as me so how much cave diving do you end up doing and do you think it justifies your investment into cave training? Thanks.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SUB ZERO View Post
    ... and do you think it justifies your investment into cave training?
    How do you justify spending money on any hobby? It's either worth it to you or it's not.

    I don't know what you mean by overhead skills.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NW GA
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Monthly at least


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    at the risk of stirring more silt with this response.... as often as you can... though you can still practice skills in any divable water... I started training while living in N FLorida and then ended up having to move... have not been as far away as you but I at least made it back once a year... and this year have been lucky enough to get back 3 times so far this year.

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    When I lived in northern Virginia, I used to practice in a local quarry. I stuck silt stakes in the mud bottom, then stung a line to make a big closed loop, pattern. I kept swimming the circuit every weekend until I could make the circuit without stirring up any silt.

    Last edited by FW; 05-19-2021 at 12:51 PM.
    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SUB ZERO View Post
    As someone who does not live near caves, I will be driving a good 14 hours to the site or taking a plane if Covid situation allows. It makes me wonder, before I spent major bucks on getting cave certified, how often does one need to be cave diving to keep their overhead skills sharp? I am sure that there are plenty of cave divers who are as geographically disadvantaged as me so how much cave diving do you end up doing and do you think it justifies your investment into cave training? Thanks.
    it depends. How often are you doing similar level/type dives on a regular basis? How solid is your base training going in? If you are trained say at GUE Tech 1 and are doing those types of dives, then translating that into a cave is pretty straight forward and your need to cave dive frequently is arguably less than someone who is a pure recreational diver and whos only experience into this style of diving is cave diving. If you don't have the support structure at home to encourage good dive practices then you need to do it more often. I have friends who come down once a year for a week and there is no issue with that. One of them was one of the first group of GUE instructors who has since retired, the other is an active UTD instructor and they are practicing that type of diving almost every week. Give them a day or so of shake down dives and they're fine for 2-3hr OC cave dives.
    If you want to get on the project teams and start doing some big boy dives, then you have to be doing it monthly just to stay active in those groups.

    The skills specific to cave diving are pretty minimal. Most of them are line related which you can practice in a quarry or lake with little issue and even then, most of the caves have the lines run out to the door anyway. The rest of the skills are just good diving habits that you can maintain in any environment.


  7. #7

    Default

    I live 14-16 hours away depending on if I go to Marianna or High Springs. I go every 6-8 weeks.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Cave Dive???? Are you crazy, that crap is dangerous.

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Antonio,Tx
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Cave training was worth every penny, even if I never dove another cave in my life. What I got out of it were skills that would help me in any diving situation. Good buoyancy and trim, situational awareness, stress management, good dive planning, not to mention amazing views.

    I don't live anywhere near recreational cave diving sites, but I try to go about twice a year. I would do it. Just my 2 cents.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Branford, Florida
    Age
    75
    Posts
    679

    Default

    Before I got smart and moved to Branford 16 years ago, we found at White Star Quarry in north Ohio a big concrete tunnel about 300 feet long. We would train line, lights out and air sharing skills there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 08:04 AM
  2. How do you cave dive?
    By wingman in forum Polls
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-13-2011, 02:47 PM
  3. Why do you cave dive?
    By Moonfuzzy in forum Polls
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 11:58 PM
  4. My First (and almost last) Cave Dive
    By IRAP Administrator in forum Incident Reporting and Analysis Project (IRAP)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 08:37 PM
  5. The Cave Dive That Can Never Be
    By skip in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2007, 07:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts