Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Default Do Faber LP 80s ride better than 85s for sidemount bailout?

    What are the dimensions on a Faber LP 80? Are they slightly shorter and wider than an 85? Anyone used them as bailout before? Do they ride nice?


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    63

    Default

    2” shorter, 0.25” bigger diameter, 0.85lb more negative when filled to 2640. Your height and the mix you’re putting in them probably determine which is preferable. They’re ~7 cuft less gas at rated pressure. Assuming they’re the Faber 80 and not the MP 3120 Faber 80.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Steel 80s are weird tanks and in bm they are only good for a small number of people. They tend to make you very head heavy. I suspect the same wouls hold true in sm bailout but it depends on your body, trim in your unit, and preference.
    I think you?re going to find a reason people sm 85s 100:1 more than steel 80s.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default

    i used to dive a set in sidemount... I really liked them, but my wife liked them even more... she was much shorter than I and they "fit" her really well. when she moved to CCR, those were her "big bailout" tank of choice if she needed more gas than LP50's.


  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    One of the best side mount tanks I ever used because they were shorter and would allow me to go through narrow areas, and not worry about the bottom of the tank hanging up, compared to 85s. Before I converted to side mount use I used them as big gas stages because they rode well, weren't that heavy, and gave me a lot more gas than an AL80.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Branford, Florida
    Age
    76
    Posts
    679

    Default Do Faber LP 80s ride better than 85s for sidemount bailout?

    I used them extensively as backmount doubles while Great Lakes Wreck diving. Much more accommodating getting up a ladder in 6 foot seas than 95?s. . When I moved to Florida and started sidemount I split the two sets up and loved them. Now I rarely use them except for Jug Hole where gas supply is not an issue. My primary cylinders are Pressed Steel HP 119s. With LP 85s used where gas supply dictates.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



 

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted LP 85s or 80s
    By kikidives in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2020, 01:32 PM
  2. FS: Faber 85s with Sidemount Straps - Fresh Hydro
    By djgault in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2019, 12:18 PM
  3. Wanted, Faber LP 80s or 85s steel tanks.
    By diverpaul69 in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2015, 08:05 PM
  4. WTB 85s for sidemount/bailout
    By wingman in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 03:10 PM
  5. WTB Faber 85s for sidemount.
    By Ed Jackson in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2008, 08:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts