Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default GinnieSurfaceConditions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wyatt View Post
    I was at Devils' all day yesterday, arriving at 0800. Not too bad at that time. By mid-afternoon the parking was tough. People parked all the way up to the bath house. The cave was crowded also, while exiting at Hill 400 I counted 8 divers congregated around the jump. The exiting team was not yielded to at all, they just kept coming with no regard.
    This will piss alot of people off, but I find the more out of state tags the less likely it is people will yield to the exiting team


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    I find the more out of state tags the less likely it is people will yield to the exiting team
    That may be true.

    It seems that people are not being taught to yield to the exiting team in the same manner they are not being taught cave conservation. These may be being mentioned in the classes but apparently are not being stressed enough in each pre-dive dive briefing.

    Jim Wyatt
    Cavediveflorida

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    Think I would just barge right through them. Then maybe the instructor ( if there was one) might teach that exiting divers have the right a way


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    roadkill

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default GinnieSurfaceConditions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee View Post
    Think I would just barge right through them. Then maybe the instructor ( if there was one) might teach that exiting divers have the right a way


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You?d be surprised how hard it is sometimes to push past people. On oc I?ve got no problem shining my light in someones face if its very obvious I?m there and they refuse to move after a decent amount of time. Now on cc I just sit and wait and try not to get annoyed since I?ve got all the time in the world. Last time I was blocked there was a team of 5 putting in the jump to the bone line blocking the entire passage near the park bench. No amount of light flashes or getting in their field of vision made a difference. I waited probably 3 minutes and still no acknowledgement I was there so I nicely pushed two of them out of the way. It wasnt a class. Just some morons on a cave diving vacation. It was pretty bad. Normally I?d just ##### about it at the surface. These guys were still clueless after I had to physically move two of them. They were just starting their dive so I didnt have the time to waste sitting in the parking lot waiting for them to come back to give them a good debrief.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    High Springs
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    This will piss alot of people off, but I find the more out of state tags the less likely it is people will yield to the exiting team


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe we need those white oval sticker for DPVs. So we can better ID who folks are fudging up the lanes.


  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Maybe we need those white oval sticker for DPVs. So we can better ID who folks are fudging up the lanes.
    Its usually fairly obvious both on the surface and in the water


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cozumel, Mexico por el invierno
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Ginnie has been a bit of a zoo but that is kind par for the course. It's Florida spring break and Peacock is still closed. I got there are 945am today and was one of two teams in the water the exception of the Miami tuber invaders.. I've definitely seen some shenanigans but nothing really anything different than a typical holiday weekend. Honestly I think it's been less busy with cave divers.

    This may also anger some people but there are also quite a few really sh*tty and inconsiderate Florida divers. Merely possessing a coveted Florida license plate does not seem to make one a world renowned cave diver like one might expect. You do realize people from other parts of Florida visit High Springs?


  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wyatt View Post
    That may be true.

    It seems that people are not being taught to yield to the exiting team in the same manner they are not being taught cave conservation. These may be being mentioned in the classes but apparently are not being stressed enough in each pre-dive dive briefing.
    Quote Originally Posted by reddvet View Post
    Just some morons on a cave diving vacation. It was pretty bad.
    In recent years it seems that some people who don't have caves locally just get trained in a mine. If you can go on cave trip after a couple of days in one or two mines... it's hard to be surprised by anything anymore.

    Last year I talked to someone while gearing up and she told me she had failed/quit her mine diver class twice. She said it's still OK for her to go cave diving that day because she had her mine instructor/boy friend with her ... so it would be safe.


  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macado View Post
    Ginnie has been a bit of a zoo but that is kind par for the course. It's Florida spring break and Peacock is still closed. I got there are 945am today and was one of two teams in the water the exception of the Miami tuber invaders.. I've definitely seen some shenanigans but nothing really anything different than a typical holiday weekend. Honestly I think it's been less busy with cave divers.

    This may also anger some people but there are also quite a few really sh*tty and inconsiderate Florida divers. Merely possessing a coveted Florida license plate does not seem to make one a world renowned cave diver like one might expect. You do realize people from other parts of Florida visit High Springs?
    Yes, there are crappy jerks from florida too. My only point was when the swarms of vacation cave divers show up, thats when you see alot more people being discourteous and blocking exits. I said it would piss some people off. But I think if you quiz alot of the locals they?ll say they see the same thing.


  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Branford, Florida
    Age
    75
    Posts
    679

    Default

    There is a diver with a red Prius with Vermont plates using a scooter to blow out multiple tunnels lately. Poor skills and an attitude stating that if I wanted a clear visibility cave I should have gotten there before he did. Moron.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts