Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1

    Default SidemountAnyone?

    I've had the opportunity to do some sidemount diving lately and it is pretty cool.

    I've been diving a really old rig that was given to me.

    Starting to consider actually purchasing a rig.

    Thinking I want the most streamlined, minimalist rig possible that will support me and a set of lp95s, and trims out easily.

    So, what's the best sidemount rig out there?


    Dominick Gheesling

    Hike your own hike.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dominick Gheesling View Post
    I've had the opportunity to do some sidemount diving lately and it is pretty cool.

    I've been diving a really old rig that was given to me.

    Starting to consider actually purchasing a rig.

    Thinking I want the most streamlined, minimalist rig possible that will support me and a set of lp95s, and trims out easily.

    So, what's the best sidemount rig out there?

    What a question. Nothing fits or trims on everybody the same. I have used a Armadillo for 20 years, for me, its the best.

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    The good news is that there are a thousand ways to adjust a side mount rig.

    The bad news is that there are a thousand ways to adjust a side mount rig.

    What works for me will probably not work for you. I had to buy 3 rigs to get it right. BUT the good news is there is a lot of very good condition used equipment for sale on this board.

    The minimalistic end probably starts with Steve Bogart's Razor. Not an advertisement, I've never used it. Just sayin.

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    I like my Nomad LS - it's toward the smaller and more streamlined end of the spectrum, is very adjustable, and handles 95's and a stage easily. I've also dove it with Al80's and had no difficulties. But as pointed out in the previous posts, YMMV. I have tried only three sidemount rigs, so my experience is limited.

    Choosing a rig is complicated by the fact that having it optimally adjusted for you is just as much a factor as the rig itself. Even if you had the opportunity to try a wide variety of rigs, you'd have to tweak each one, preferably with the assistance of a knowledgeable fitter and mentor, and do several dives in it to get an accurate appreciation of it. The good news is that when properly adjusted, they all work at least OK.

    If you're new to sidemount, taking a sidemount class with a good instructor or at least finding a mentor to help you get squared away is highly useful. My wife and I tried to teach ourselves sidemount for several months and thought we were doing well. Then we took a class, and made more progress on trim and comfort in a day than we had in four months on our own.

    Mike


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    Have to agree with Morgan. Class makes it so much easier.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    roadkill

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Posts
    134

    Default

    I use an older Nomad XT and like it for most sump diving. I removed a box full of parts off of it and I have found it to be durable and it works well for me on most any tank configuration.

    I had a Razor early on but found it hard to don in restrictive cave passages and way too fussy. In a tight passage less than three feet high I can slide into the Nomad, roll over, and do it up.

    For exploration sump diving way back after dry caving into sump passage, my rig of choice is likely to be a loop of bungy loaded with weights around the shoulders with a weight belt with some D rings. No bcd.

    It took me ages to get squared away in sidemount. As others have suggested having knowledgeable assistance for the fine points of making the many fine adjustments for weight placement, loop length and tank band placements, will both save time and have you enjoying it sooner.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Right now you?re best options in my opinion are the xdeep or katana 2. I prefer the stealth. It has its pros and cons compared to the katana 2 but thats all sidemount. Personally I would make an appointment with marissa or draker and they?ll fit you for an xdeep and I think can also do demo dives. I?m partial to the xdeep but I?m also biased because I?ve been diving them since the classic stealth came out.
    I?m typically against anything hollis but after diving rhe katana 2 for 4 days I was impressed. But its also a significant rip off of the stealth.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  8. #8
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    What did Mike Mc used to say? Ask ten sidemounters, get eleven different answers.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    What did Mike Mc used to say? Ask ten sidemounters, get eleven different answers.
    Yup. He was right!

    It may be even worse than that. Ask one sidemounter the same question ten times and you might get eleven different answers.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    I'd go see if you can spend a day with Marissa and check out an x-deep.

    Ken Sallot


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts