Really like my Katana 2 - one of my main cave buddies just got the Katana 2 and likes it as well, she was diving an XDeep Rec and needed more lift with steel tanks (Rec version has #25 lift, Tec has #40). I really like the inclusion of the shoulder dump on the Katana 2, whereas the XDeep just has the rear dump as the only option.
One unmentioned piece to technical cave sidemount diving is that if your using twin high volume steel cylinders you should probably be in a drysuit. That said buoyancy will be managed by the drysuit and the wings used for emergency use due to a drysuit failure.
Get sound firsthand advise from a knowledgeable Florida instructor and you won?t go wrong.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought a new drysuit and so I happened to read a si tech valve manual lately. It also recommended to use the drysuit as your primary source of buoyancy but it also said you have to be weighted perfectly. With big twin steels, not many folks are going to be weighted perfectly.
Is it clear? No? Well....let's go anyways.
Well if you're weighted perfectly, you only need to compensate for the suit, so you could just keep it minimally inflated. I don't however know how you'll keep your perfect weight while your tanks are draining.
I've heard that compensation with the suit only is taught for beginner divers to prevent task loading and prevent loss of control when ascending. Though if said diver gets inverted and traps air in the legs, inflating the suit only will make it far worse.
Bookmarks