you can get the capture dongles now for about $25 from amazon et al. VHS is roughly 480x300 resolution on a good day, so you don't need a pricy capture board to handle it.
they may include software, but personally prefer OBS / https://obsproject.com/ for any sort of video recording needs. mainly due to its flexibility and familiarity.
as you mentioned, the bigger issue is getting one's hands on VHS deck that can handle 20+ year old media without constantly losing tracking, or worse: eating the tape. i used to have access to a pile of AG-8700s from the local volunteer cable group, but they are now lost in the wind after their owner passed away and the group disbanded.
you can find refurb Panasonic 830s going for $500 ish; ebay has consumer 4 head VHS anywhere from $50 to $1000+. there is always a chance of striking gold at a pawn shop or goodwill.
that legacybox sale price is looking better and better once you start adding up gear and time costs. i'd be down for throwing a few stimulus bucks at the project if it's undertaken.
Very low tech answer if you have access to a VHS player is to set up digital video camera focused on TV screen. Works quite well provided you have a quiet room and remember not to talk. Plus as already mentioned VHS is very low resolution so do not bother filming screen in HD.
I have one of those vhs dvd-r combo units I got from walmart for around $100. After burning it to dvd You can use Nero to convert it to another format.
How many tapes do you have?
I have 5 by Don Landis
2 of Eagles Nest by Larry Green possible the same ones.
Suwannee Blue
Ward sink
Convict
Salt
Several of Peacock but believe they are all on DVD now.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roadkill
I can do a few the way I described.
Bookmarks