Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Default WARNING - BUFORD SPRING: potentially unpopular opinion ahead...

    So I've seen a fair amount of folks state that the boardwalk at Buford is the worst thing ever, and it will lead to the destruction of Buford. After diving it several times recently I have come to a different conclusion...I think it is a wonderful improvement to the WMA and Buford. Well done FWC!
    Seems some of us have forgotten that FWC does not manage sites for the sole purpose and pleasure of cave divers, but for all visitors. And this boardwalk is a great improvement that facilitates access for everyone. On my visits there recently I met and talked with other cave divers, recreational divers, free divers, and general tourists (non-divers) looking to take a nice walk and enjoy nature. And yes, on some days there were quite a few people there.
    Conflicting opinions point to the increased likelihood of injury/fatality, vandalism, general crowding, etc. And yes, that is a distinct possibility based solely on numbers. If scumbags and idiots comprise X% of the population, and that population increases due to better access, you will have more scumbags and idiots at any given site. But, unfortunately, that's just a general fact of life. And it's also a sad fact that the cave community already has its fair share of scumbags and idiots, so pointing fingers elsewhere is a bit disingenuous. Even with all the vehicle and visitor traffic, I really did not see much trash at all aside from a few bits of paper here or there where vehicles park (I purposely looked), especially compared to Eagle's Nest, where condom catheter wrappers, used catheters, piles of sorb, and other trash is so readily apparent...all within 100 feet of a large trash bin! And we already have cave graffiti and damage in caves from our own. So, yeah, glass houses and all.
    Will FWC have to consider limiting access at some point solely due to the masses of people using Buford? Perhaps. Even likely. But to think that only cave divers should have access to Buford is a selfish and foolish position.
    And yes, I first dived Buford (and other springs farther into the swamp) 20 years ago with Steve Straatsma working our way through the muck...fun times.
    Anyway, if you've taken the effort to read through and think about my rambling opinion above I'll offer a bit of a reward now. Here is a little video of Buford...enjoy!

    https://youtu.be/1mFqNG06iX4

    Cheers,
    Mike

    Michael C. Barnette
    Association of Underwater Explorers

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barney00 View Post
    So I've seen a fair amount of folks state that the boardwalk at Buford is the worst thing ever, and it will lead to the destruction of Buford. After diving it several times recently I have come to a different conclusion...I think it is a wonderful improvement to the WMA and Buford. Well done FWC!
    Seems some of us have forgotten that FWC does not manage sites for the sole purpose and pleasure of cave divers, but for all visitors. And this boardwalk is a great improvement that facilitates access for everyone. On my visits there recently I met and talked with other cave divers, recreational divers, free divers, and general tourists (non-divers) looking to take a nice walk and enjoy nature. And yes, on some days there were quite a few people there.
    Conflicting opinions point to the increased likelihood of injury/fatality, vandalism, general crowding, etc. And yes, that is a distinct possibility based solely on numbers. If scumbags and idiots comprise X% of the population, and that population increases due to better access, you will have more scumbags and idiots at any given site. But, unfortunately, that's just a general fact of life. And it's also a sad fact that the cave community already has its fair share of scumbags and idiots, so pointing fingers elsewhere is a bit disingenuous. Even with all the vehicle and visitor traffic, I really did not see much trash at all aside from a few bits of paper here or there where vehicles park (I purposely looked), especially compared to Eagle's Nest, where condom catheter wrappers, used catheters, piles of sorb, and other trash is so readily apparent...all within 100 feet of a large trash bin! And we already have cave graffiti and damage in caves from our own. So, yeah, glass houses and all.
    Will FWC have to consider limiting access at some point solely due to the masses of people using Buford? Perhaps. Even likely. But to think that only cave divers should have access to Buford is a selfish and foolish position.
    And yes, I first dived Buford (and other springs farther into the swamp) 20 years ago with Steve Straatsma working our way through the muck...fun times.
    Anyway, if you've taken the effort to read through and think about my rambling opinion above I'll offer a bit of a reward now. Here is a little video of Buford...enjoy!

    https://youtu.be/1mFqNG06iX4

    Cheers,
    Mike
    I've got mixed emotions on it. The boardwalk is very nice and I also think it's good for people to be able to view some of the beautiful springs we have in florida. It's shocking how many people don't even know the springs exist. My issue is two fold: 1) there have been reports of increased grafitti within the cavern. I saw one particular area that is new, but I also hadn't been to buford in a while before that. So it may have been before the boardwalk. But there's been more than a handful of people that dive there regularly that have posted here and on scubaboard about damage they've seen. 2) There have been a few videos of people from one particularly well-known dive group in this area diving pretty deep into the system in single tanks (one video showed the chicken which if I remember is at like 150). So I'm concerned there may be an issue in the future with more people diving it. But on the other hand, lots of OW divers were diving it before the boardwalk. So I absolutely see both sides of the argument. I just personally would have preferred the boardwalk not be built to keep it as pristine as possible.
    On a more selfish note, I don't like the boardwalk because one of the greatest things about Buford was seeing new people figure out how to navigate the swamp. It's very entertaining and sort of a rite of passage. Most cave divers dive sites with picnic tables and benches. Buford was one of the sites without them that you could safely take new cavern or cavedivers to. The other selfish point is I find now that I hear reports of how many people are regularly at Buford, it makes me want to dive it less. The other great thing about it was it typically was just you, your dive buddies, and the mosquitoes.
    So I wish it wasn't built, but it is a really nice boardwalk and it allows more people to experience the springs for better or for worse.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Fl
    Posts
    863

    Default

    One of the reasons for the expansion was to give free-divers and open water divers a safe alternative to Eagles Nest.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    OK.. I totally disagree, people that wanted to see Buford did the trudge through the swamp and it should have stayed that way. Now you get kids throwing cinder blocks into the cavern who would have NEVER made it there to begin with... and yes you also get people doing dives they might have not when there was not easy access... I've dove Eagles nest (the basin) just to see what was there... NEVER would I have dropped into the cave.. So I don't know what is wrong with other OW divers doing the same... those that have the urge to get into overhead are going to do what they are going to do... the boardwalk really didn't need to be added to encourage them. In all fairness now that the boardwalk is there I am more likely to take some out of state divers there that I would not have taken before...oops see how it is encouraging over use :O

    Tim

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bartow, FL
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    We all think it's the other guys. Never us. Whatever the argument concerns.

    God help me: I agree with Barney. Building the boardwalk was a good move for the FWC for their goal relative to the Chaz. It may or may not negatively impact cave divers that go there--but what cave divers go there? It's a cavern. Meaning, cavern divers should be able to enjoy it. Cavern divers probably dont want to stomp through the woods looking for amazing caverns. That is really more of a cave diver thing: cave divers searching the swamp for caves. Cavern divers dont cave dive. A boardwalk helps them dive a wonderful cavern. Let them have it....some people or so selfish--"keep the cavern pristine for us cave divers". Kinda silly. All that trudging through the swamp probably killed all kinds of bug larvae. Cant have that. A moccasin may have bent his fangs on someone's wetsuit. Conservation nightmare!

    If a cave diver wants a useless dive that requires a long walk--go to Jug. At least it's an honest to God cave.

    Guilty confession: The next time I go to Buford I will have my free diving gear. Gotta practice! And a pole spear for those bass. Ok, last part was a joke.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    On a more selfish note, I don't like the boardwalk because one of the greatest things about Buford was seeing new people figure out how to navigate the swamp. It's very entertaining and sort of a rite of passage. Most cave divers dive sites with picnic tables and benches. Buford was one of the sites without them that you could safely take new cavern or cavedivers to. The other selfish point is I find now that I hear reports of how many people are regularly at Buford, it makes me want to dive it less.
    I wouldn't know but I bet there is a redonkulous number of other caves in Florida that you can't just drive up to.
    In recent years they have improved access to some popular cave in France too. They added parking space and even stair into one (Landenouse). Some people have complained about it's now less of an adventure to dive there. But in the end of the day it's much better than having stuff closed down. Also spots like these are fairly well known anyways and it's a good reason to check out some other cave you've never been too. That's what's so great about a place like Florida and France... so much to do.


  7. #7

    Default

    Nice video Mike! Just shared it with family...

    Gene



 

Similar Threads

  1. Buford Spring
    By Walter Pickel in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-23-2010, 10:02 PM
  2. Buford Spring
    By Nick Mislak in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 08:20 PM
  3. Buford Spring - Hernando
    By oldguy in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 07:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts