Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Friendswood, Tx
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Question: What assumptions do people use related to deco time impact on emergency exit? Playing with a couple of longer profiles I could see this requiring 10?s of feet of gas. Basically a slower exit.

    Greg


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JahJahwarrior View Post
    It wasn't explained well to me the first time either,
    and I hate doing math.
    Fortunately, if you are diving consistent tank sizes, then you just kind of memorize stuff, but the math work is good to stretch the 'ol gray matter from time to time.

    I had a gas matching calculation for a while, I didn't think to add one for 1/2+200 math. I've added one for 1 or 2 stages, shows you how many cubic feet you need to subtract from available cubic feet on backgas and your resulting new turn pressure.

    It's at the very bottom, happy scrolling!

    http://divebhb.com/gas-planning/
    You should try metric for this... it's so much easier.
    I'm self-taught stage diving though but here is my calculation:
    A set of 12 liter (about same size as LP85s) tanks and one stage is 8000 Liters. I dive quaters most of the time.
    Half a stage is 1000 Liters so I can take another 1000 Liters from the SM tanks before I have to turn which is 40 bars. It easy math you can do in your head.


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    But people I know who took a stage class from other agencies are hit or miss on that point. And those that are ?self-taught? to dive a stage pretty ubiquitously dont subtract from backgas
    If they didn't learn to calculate with the total amout of gas, what did they learn in that class? Other than gas planning, what's to learn in a stage class anyways?
    I really wonder what I would learn a class like that and whether it'd be worth taking it.


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcr View Post
    1/2+200 on stages and thirds of backgas is the absolute minimum gas needed.
    That's assuming your stage tanks and regs will always work flawlessly. It will be a bit difficult to share the remaining stage, although you'd likely be able to feather the valve on the malfunctioning one.

    P.S. It really is easy in metric - with 2x12l back tanks and 11.1L stages (S80) you can just divide stage pressure by 2 to get back tank pressure, with only 8% calculation error (which adds to conservativism anyway).


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    If they didn't learn to calculate with the total amout of gas, what did they learn in that class? Other than gas planning, what's to learn in a stage class anyways?
    I really wonder what I would learn a class like that and whether it'd be worth taking it.
    They learned gas management and stage handling. But their gas management strategy didnt include removing gas from backgas. And apparently thats very common.

    I personally never took one, but I was lucky enough to have good mentors. And naui cave 2 includes stages


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GregO View Post
    Question: What assumptions do people use related to deco time impact on emergency exit? Playing with a couple of longer profiles I could see this requiring 10?s of feet of gas. Basically a slower exit.

    Greg


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    Hahaha! You're funny. Dive planning??? Most just follow what their computer says and hope they've got enough gas.

    Ken Sallot

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    Hahaha! You're funny. Dive planning??? Most just follow what their computer says and hope they've got enough gas.
    Well, if you don't have a plan, then nothing can go wrong. Right?

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    Well, if you don't have a plan, then nothing can go wrong. Right?
    Please run for congress.

    Ken Sallot

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    Well, if you don't have a plan, then nothing can go wrong. Right?
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.


  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    Please run for congress.
    "Pro and con are opposites,
    that fact is clearly seen.
    If progress means to move forward,
    then what does congress mean?"

    Nipsey Russell

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts