Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default FLORIDA Stay At Home Order

    17 minutes ago, Gov. Desantes issued a state wide "Stay At Home" order for Florida.

    Say "goodbye" to the Ginnie girls until next summer.

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  2. #2

    Default

    Thanks for the info. It's about time.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Order goes into effect 1201 am Friday.

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Branford
    Age
    79
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tursiops View Post
    Thanks for the info. It's about time.
    With all the hysteria:
    Anyone know the corona deaths vs flu deaths this year and 2017
    Anyone know ave age of corona deaths and the predisposing health problems
    Anyone know symptoms of infected under age 50
    My dad stormed Omaha beach and we are hero’s for unemploying millions of people and wearing our masks.
    God bless the media, re-election year politics and Mellenials

    Last edited by Puttzer; 04-27-2020 at 09:00 PM.
    Richard Hardison

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    441

    Default

    @Puttzer:

    Since you like facts, below is an answer to your first question. Your second question disgusts me as it assumes that some "Deserve to die". Reading your prior posts, it seems that you had some medical issues in 2016, you probably have some pre-existing conditions that you might worry about, eh? Your third, since I know people my age(and younger) who have been infected, and I'm 36, I'll tell you that those I know who have recovered have had symptoms ranging from cough, chest soreness, tightness of breath, pneumonia, etc, and some I don't know but read an article about had actual strokes that they are blaming on COVID19. Note, I am not a doctor, but I'm also including a great article below from a doctor who is well known in scuba circles, and who also contracted COVID19, Dr. Douglas Ebersole.


    2016-2017 flu season: there were 29 million flu cases in the United States; and estimated 497,000 flu-related hospitalizations and 38,000 flu-related deaths. Ref[1]
    2017-2018 flu season: there were 48.8 million people getting sick with influenza, 22.7 million people going to a health care provider, 959,000 hospitalizations, and 79,400 deaths from influenza. Ref[2]
    2018-2019 flu season: 37.4 million and 42.9 million people contracted the flu during the 2018-2019 season. Those cases led to between 531,000 and 647,000 hospitalization and 36,400-61,200 deaths Ref[3]

    [1]: https://cnsnews.com/article/internat...flu-associated
    [2]: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...18/archive.htm
    [3]: https://www.passporthealthusa.com/20...19-flu-season/

    Corona Deaths since 3/1/2020 (in the US):
    Cases: ~1Million
    Deaths:~56000.

    Reference: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

    Dr. Ebersole's article: https://www.divetech.com/post/diving...ra-of-covid-19

    Please get this through your head: There have been more deaths in the US in the last 2 months, then there were in 2016, nearly the same number as 2018, and less than 2017. However, the numbers in items 1/2/3 above were for a FULL YEAR. This has all happened in 2 months, so multiply my numbers of corona deaths by 6 to get a rough extrapolated figure. Here, I'll do it for you:

    Cases: ~6 million
    Deaths: ~336000

    Do the math, this disease is much much much stronger than the flu if not controlled.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lord1234 View Post
    @Puttzer:

    Since you like facts, below is an answer to your first question. Your second question disgusts me as it assumes that some "Deserve to die". Reading your prior posts, it seems that you had some medical issues in 2016, you probably have some pre-existing conditions that you might worry about, eh? Your third, since I know people my age(and younger) who have been infected, and I'm 36, I'll tell you that those I know who have recovered have had symptoms ranging from cough, chest soreness, tightness of breath, pneumonia, etc, and some I don't know but read an article about had actual strokes that they are blaming on COVID19. Note, I am not a doctor, but I'm also including a great article below from a doctor who is well known in scuba circles, and who also contracted COVID19, Dr. Douglas Ebersole.


    2016-2017 flu season: there were 29 million flu cases in the United States; and estimated 497,000 flu-related hospitalizations and 38,000 flu-related deaths. Ref[1]
    2017-2018 flu season: there were 48.8 million people getting sick with influenza, 22.7 million people going to a health care provider, 959,000 hospitalizations, and 79,400 deaths from influenza. Ref[2]
    2018-2019 flu season: 37.4 million and 42.9 million people contracted the flu during the 2018-2019 season. Those cases led to between 531,000 and 647,000 hospitalization and 36,400-61,200 deaths Ref[3]

    [1]: https://cnsnews.com/article/internat...flu-associated
    [2]: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...18/archive.htm
    [3]: https://www.passporthealthusa.com/20...19-flu-season/

    Corona Deaths since 3/1/2020 (in the US):
    Cases: ~1Million
    Deaths:~56000.

    Reference: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

    Dr. Ebersole's article: https://www.divetech.com/post/diving...ra-of-covid-19

    Please get this through your head: There have been more deaths in the US in the last 2 months, then there were in 2016, nearly the same number as 2018, and less than 2017. However, the numbers in items 1/2/3 above were for a FULL YEAR. This has all happened in 2 months, so multiply my numbers of corona deaths by 6 to get a rough extrapolated figure. Here, I'll do it for you:

    Cases: ~6 million
    Deaths: ~336000

    Do the math, this disease is much much much stronger than the flu if not controlled.
    I’m not arguing that corona has become more serious than the flu. I’m only commenting that you can’t just take a number and multiply it by 6 to get the yearly toll. Statistical analysis doesn’t work that way. It is multifactorial and is not a straight line. There is a curvature to the number of cases that can’t be predicted. People on the internet, in the news, and on tv that just take 2 months of numbers and multiply to make it the equivalent of a year are not doing anyone a service. It’s completely inaccurate and in my opinion is fear mongering. Even renowned epidemiologists around the world are using our known predictive statistical monitoring algorithms and still don’t know if they have an accurate answer or not.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    I’m not arguing that corona has become more serious than the flu. I’m only commenting that you can’t just take a number and multiply it by 6 to get the yearly toll. Statistical analysis doesn’t work that way. It is multifactorial and is not a straight line. There is a curvature to the number of cases that can’t be predicted. People on the internet, in the news, and on tv that just take 2 months of numbers and multiply to make it the equivalent of a year are not doing anyone a service. It’s completely inaccurate and in my opinion is fear mongering. Even renowned epidemiologists around the world are using our known predictive statistical monitoring algorithms and still don’t know if they have an accurate answer or not.
    This is completely correct. I actually assume the number would be higher, since the curve wouldn't be a straight line, but more likely exponential.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default FLORIDA Stay At Home Order

    Yeah it doesnt work that way either. I?m not an epidemiologist so I dont know what the answer will be. But I have advanced training in epidemiology and public health and I can confidently tell you both of those extrapolations dont fit with statistical prediction methos for something like this. I really wish people would stop being arm chair statisticians. The people who?s statistical epidemiology training makes mine look like kindergarten honestly don?t even have a clue where the final numbers will lie.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    The people who?s statistical epidemiology training makes mine look like kindergarten honestly don?t even have a clue where the final numbers will lie.
    Yup. As my stats professor said, many years ago, "Statistics rarely prove or predict with high degrees of accuracy; they just give us some idea as to the degree of uncertainty."

    Mike


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Richard, I did not think you were so cynical. Every generation believes that younger people are the problem of the day. Get over it, it has always been thus. Remember, they will be the ones running things in 10-15 years. You get two choices, piss and moan or support them. It will work out the same for all of the angry old people who's father went ashore at Omaha Beach, in 10-15 years (if you make it through Covid 19), your biggest concern will be not crapping on yourself and what flavor pudding you get for lunch. Personally, I am looking forward to banana, given to me by a big boobed drool nurse to wipe my chin. And remember, when they are busy changing your Depends, they are heroes.

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts