Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: Ginnie?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fort White, FL
    Posts
    244

    Default Ginnie?

    Apparently Ginnie is still open according to their website. Just a recorded message on their phone.
    Does anyone have any idea or feeling if they will make an effort to stay open or if closure is imminent or pending (coronavirus)?
    Thinking of doing the previously unthinkable (arrogance, Nestle, etc.) and getting an annual pass. Everywhere else seems to be shut down (state and county parks, libraries, businesses, etc.) and am worried about the onset of "cabin fever."


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    Don?t know. But if I go I?ll wear a mask and try not to touch the railings or wear gloves.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    roadkill

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee View Post
    Don?t know. But if I go I?ll wear a mask and try not to touch the railings or wear gloves.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ginnie is open. I'd wear a mask at the check in booth but otherwise, the railings will wash off in the water of the spring run.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Just got done diving ginnie a couple hours ago. Its very obvious they have no intention of closing. There were only a couple other dive teams. There was summertime level campers and daytime visitors. At the same time its not that hard to keep away from people and not touch stuff.

    I said it last week after diving there last sunday, I really think ginnie is going to get shut down by some authority. They are literally doing nothing to decrease the number of people theyre letting in.

    If it was difficult to keep social distances my wife and I wouldnt go. But being an essential business owner I fee like I get more potential exposure at my job and going to the grocery than I do at ginnie. The groceries near me have been doing pretty much nothing to make people keep social distance.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    127

    Default

    They just had on the news that ginnie is still open. We'll see if that gets them shut down

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rob191 View Post
    They just had on the news that ginnie is still open. We'll see if that gets them shut down

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Wouldn’t be surprised. It seems the owners need/want the business so they’re not changing daily limits. I get it. New owners with a hefty note to pay. So I’d want to be able to pay my bills too. But I think they should either severely limit the number of people allowed in, limit overnight campers, or something. Sadly I’m sure the first group to be cut is cave divers. With a pvalve in place I’ve got no use of any facilities but a bench and the stairs. So I can get in and out without touching a thing and I feel safe there. Unfortunately the campers share the facilities, drink and smoke after each other, and generally seem to be using no precautions.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, Minnesota
    Posts
    167

    Default

    When was Ginnie sold? First I've heard of it.
    Al


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Al View Post
    When was Ginnie sold? First I've heard of it.
    Al
    Lol, Ginnie is owned free and clear. It did not sell.

    People at Ginnie are no different than people at Lowe's or Home Depot. If it frightens you, stay away.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Al View Post
    When was Ginnie sold? First I've heard of it.
    Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    Lol, Ginnie is owned free and clear. It did not sell.

    People at Ginnie are no different than people at Lowe's or Home Depot. If it frightens you, stay away.

    Whoops. Maybe I'm spreading misinformation. I was told by 2 different people that when all of the management changes happened it was due to new ownership. Maybe it's just caver country rumors.


    Either way, whoever owns it is playing with fire by not trying to at least make it look like they're trying to limit people.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    My thinking is maybe people should take responsibility and limit exposure without having to be told or marshal law.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    roadkill


 

Similar Threads

  1. Ginnie Eye vs. Ginnie Ear
    By Dominick Gheesling in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-04-2018, 08:10 PM
  2. Ginnie, Hart, Madison ... and Back to Ginnie.
    By diveconjeff in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 08:43 AM
  3. Ginnie Cave Diver Prices at Ginnie for the Social
    By Bill Rotella in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 12:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts