Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    521

    Default Fathom SPG question

    I've been looking at several pictures of the Fathom rebreathers but can't seem to see SPGs in any of the photos. Can someone who has one please let me know how the SPGs are routed on these guys? Thanks.

    Jason Gulley

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default Fathom SPG question

    It comes stock with no spg. I?m comfortable with no spgs personally. Though in my cave ccr class the instructor requested some sort of spg on the oxygen reg just to ensure the oxygen wasnt inadvertqntly turned on and drained in transit. I put a button gauge on and now I check it prior to every dive. So his secret plot worked. He?s gotten in my head

    If USF ever opens back up I?m sure my wife would be happy to bring hers up to her lab if you want to see it up close.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    It comes stock with no spg. I?m comfortable with no spgs personally. Though in my cave ccr class the instructor requested some sort of spg on the oxygen reg just to ensure the oxygen wasnt inadvertqntly turned on and drained in transit. I put a button gauge on and now I check it prior to every dive. So his secret plot worked. He?s gotten in my head

    If USF ever opens back up I?m sure my wife would be happy to bring hers up to her lab if you want to see it up close.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. That would explain why I've not been able to see any SPGs in any of the photos! I'll definitely take you guys up on the offer to see one up close sometime... Thus far, I've just seen pictures.

    Jason Gulley

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Boynton beach fl
    Age
    40
    Posts
    167

    Default

    I believe they now come with a button gauge on the o2 side.i personal don’t run gauges on my unit but carry a spg gauge and check again when arriving at dive site to ensure the o2 bottle is full prior to getting in my unit.I also don’t transport my unit with the 02 line connected to the mav,this eliminates the possibility of it leaking 02 Should it get turned on..Theres a few people running a slimline gauge on a short hose over the shoulder and under the right chest d ring.I have just seen too many button gauges fail so for me they are a no go and if During the dive I run out of 02 the gauge doesn’t change that lol(which has never happen)but I do agree the 02 pressure should be check at the dive site prior to any dive..as for the fathom I love mine the unit is rock solid....

    Live life one dive at a time

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBaldwin View Post
    I believe they now come with a button gauge on the o2 side.i personal don?t run gauges on my unit but carry a spg gauge and check again when arriving at dive site to ensure the o2 bottle is full prior to getting in my unit.I also don?t transport my unit with the 02 line connected to the mav,this eliminates the possibility of it leaking 02 Should it get turned on..Theres a few people running a slimline gauge on a short hose over the shoulder and under the right chest d ring.I have just seen too many button gauges fail so for me they are a no go.as for the fathom I love mine the unit is rock solid....
    We were checking onsite ss well but Ken convinced me I was more likely to be complacent in remembering. So far the button gauge has worked as a good reminder. Never thought about disconnecting the inflator hose coming into the mav. Not a bad idea.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    72

    Default

    What's the logic behind not having an SPG?


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    What's the logic behind not having an SPG?

    This is just from my perspective: if you know you have oxygen at the start of the dive (ie you checked your gas at the dive site right before the dive), you should know how long your oxygen should last you (and it should be longer than most dives you're ever going to do). If you run out of oxygen, or more likely can't access it due to a first stage failure, it should be pretty obvious without the need of an spg. And as a trained cave ccr diver (who the unit was built for initially), you should know how to handle the situation.



    I don't know for certain if Charlie started adding a button gauge on the production units now or not. I would not be surprised if he did, since there have been several cases of people jumping off of boats with their oxygen off and dying. At the same time, my understanding is that several of those were people who had spgs on their oxygen and it made no difference.

    Personally, I'm ok without an oxygen spg as long as I know I've got gas right as the dive starts (ie either a button gauge or portable spg right before putting it on my back). If I were doing long dives like the KUR guys who are pushing 7+ hours on their units and diving hypoxic mixes, I would likely want an spg that I can access during the dive just to make sure my oxygen consumption isn't exceeding the planned level. But I don't do those dives, and not sure how those guys choose to plan.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    521

    Default

    I'm not sure I agree with all of the logic behind not having spgs that are visible to the diver, and I'm a little surprised that training agencies go along with it, but there are plenty of people and agencies who disagree with my opinion on advs and bovs too.... I know from experience that I need spgs on both of my onboard bottles but I'm also doing multiple working dives with weird profiles periodically.

    Jason Gulley

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    To each his own. I?ve never felt I had to have them. The nice thing is with 2 hoses and and spgs the fathom can have them.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with all of the logic behind not having spgs that are visible to the diver, and I'm a little surprised that training agencies go along with it, but there are plenty of people and agencies who disagree with my opinion on advs and bovs too.... I know from experience that I need spgs on both of my onboard bottles but I'm also doing multiple working dives with weird profiles periodically.
    Training agencies don?t go along with it.
    I can?t say for sure, but I?m fairly certain it?s a violation of standards.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro



 

Similar Threads

  1. 40 Fathom Grotto
    By ktomlinson in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-01-2012, 12:08 PM
  2. Dive Rite Tech Tour...40-Fathom Grotto..
    By phreaticus in forum Cave Diving Events, Socials, Workshops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 07:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts