Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default CCR Divers: Traveling with Sorb

    Traveling with Sorb...

    I've been to Tulum, Mexico 3 times this year for some cave diving and taken my CCR along for the ride. To cut to the chase, I run my trips on a budget and I'm cheap, so I bring my own sorb. So far I have a 66% success rate at bringing my sorb with me and I wanted to share what I've learned.

    According to email conversations I've had with Delta, Spirit Airlines, Southwest Airlines, TSA and the FAA, the chemical labeled "Intersorb 812" (which is what I buy/use) is not a regulated or hazardous material and therefore should be allowed in your checked baggage for domestic and international air travel. Each agency was careful to point the finger towards the other agency with statements such as "Delta does not consider this hazardous material but the TSA has the ultimate decision on all items allowed in luggage" or "the TSA does not classify this as a dangerous substance however your airline may prohibit travel with this item".

    So it boils down to this: minimizing risk.

    I have found there are varying levels of incompetence and knowledge, even the ability to read (an MSDS sheet) and comprehend. So I have compiled the following "pointers" to aide in your success with traveling with your "C02 absorbent Material" of choice.

    1. Compile your documentation. Print off the MSDS sheets from the manufacturer of your sorb. Highlight the important stuff such as "this is a non hazardous or combustible material". Have a copy of the MSDS with the sorb and also carry a copy with you in your carry on.

    2. Provide documentation of your communication with the airlines, FAA and TSA in case you run into the wrong person. I'm happy to share these with anyone (I have emails from Delta, TSA and FAA). Put copies with the sorb and carry a copy with you.

    2a. Big note in your "Keg Smuggling Kit" that is addressed to TSA... in case they open your bag. Make sure you tell them your name and cell number. They can call you to discuss.

    3. Yank their heart strings a bit... put a picture of you diving on your CCR and a short description of what this "stuff" is (english and in the destination language... thank you google translate) and why it is so important to your travel plans. I print this off and tape it to the side of the keg.

    4. Hide your ####. Thanks to my friend, Tracy David Scott Click, I went to my local Goodwill and bought a crappy light weight suitcase for $5.99 for the last trip. THIS WAS THE JACKPOT. Sorb Keg goes inside with documentation... out of sight, out of mind. Right past the ticket counter, customs, TSA, etc... no issues. When you finish your trip, leave it at the curb and some Mexican is bound to get excited about their new vegetable tote with wheels.

    5. Be prepared to pay. Ultimately I've learned there is no guarantee that anything you take with you on the airlines will make it to your final destination. Be prepare that you could loose the whole keg (or even your oxygen bottles Patrick Picard) and you'll have to buy it when you get where you're going.

    Long story short.. minimize the risk. Sorb in Mexico is about $300/keg and it can be bought in the states for about $100/keg. To me its worth the $200 savings... that's a lot of Coronas!

    Feel free to email me for said documentation, I'm happy to pass it along.

    BTW... I take my alumium 13 oxygen bottles too... valves out, bottles capped in my backpack. no issues so far.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200217_114400.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	21161Click image for larger version

Name:	20200220_172320.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	21169Click image for larger version

Name:	20200220_172219.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	21168Click image for larger version

Name:	20200220_172207.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	21167Click image for larger version

Name:	20200220_172029.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	21166Click image for larger version

Name:	20200220_172016.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	21165Click image for larger version

Name:	20200220_172010.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	21164Click image for larger version

Name:	20200220_172004.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	21163Click image for larger version

Name:	20200217_114513.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	21162Click image for larger version

Name:	20200222_043936.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	21170


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default CCR Divers: Traveling with Sorb

    A tub of sorb for us was about $30 more than in the US when we?ve gone. I think it?s highly dependent on who you get it from. I?ve considered carrying bottles though when we went places that the bottles are hard to find. So good to know it can easily be done.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    so how much of theses tips had you implemented when you had you 33% loss rate.. Is this lessons learned out of the loss or did you have the loss despite These tips?
    Also in regards to Mexico a factor that is missing on the list: Mexican custom. no tips other than to use as Little unsupsicios luaggage upon Arrival are possible.. Difficult as a technical diver but still something to be considered.. Pelicases and other "Special" gear cases Always cause a custom guy to look Closer.. so minimizing gear might be difficult but at least making sure to have your gear in "regular" bags and suitcases is helpful..
    I have had Friends having a lot of dicussions with customs in Mexico in regards to sorb and some got conficated, some got "taxed", some where ok after some discussion..
    As for TSA upon leaving: Documentation is good.. But being present at inspection is even better, as if any Questions do come up you can answer them directly.. You can let them know at check in that you have life support Equipment in your luagage and you would like to be present at inspection.. They let you at most US Airports I travelled through was my expeience and reduced issues with Sorb or dpv or CCR to Zero..


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius View Post
    so how much of theses tips had you implemented when you had you 33% loss rate.. Is this lessons learned out of the loss or did you have the loss despite These tips?
    Also in regards to Mexico a factor that is missing on the list: Mexican custom. no tips other than to use as Little unsupsicios luaggage upon Arrival are possible.. Difficult as a technical diver but still something to be considered.. Pelicases and other "Special" gear cases Always cause a custom guy to look Closer.. so minimizing gear might be difficult but at least making sure to have your gear in "regular" bags and suitcases is helpful..
    I have had Friends having a lot of dicussions with customs in Mexico in regards to sorb and some got conficated, some got "taxed", some where ok after some discussion..
    As for TSA upon leaving: Documentation is good.. But being present at inspection is even better, as if any Questions do come up you can answer them directly.. You can let them know at check in that you have life support Equipment in your luagage and you would like to be present at inspection.. They let you at most US Airports I travelled through was my expeience and reduced issues with Sorb or dpv or CCR to Zero..
    basically to sum up my math... i made 3 trips, on one trip I was denied to bring the keg. The first trip I had the keg alone with an MSDS sheet in a clear plastic pouch on the side of the keg and got through... I was however taxed at customs in mexico ($17 if I remember correctly). 2nd trip, I tried the naked keg again but had an idiot at the ticket counter who could not interpret the MSDS sheet and nor could her supervisor. When I described that this is a "carbon dioxide absorbent material" (this is what the MSDS sheet says), she said "oh no... we don't allow carbon dioxide on the plane". Over an hour at the counter and I was in danger of missing my flight so I had to abandon the keg (thankfully pickup on at JAX upon my return) and proceed to mexico without it. Trip #3 was when I implemented the dummy suitcase... this was great. No questions at the ticket counter, no issues with TSA, walked right past customs officers and into mexico.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    I implemented the dummy suitcase... this was great.
    "its the politics of contraband..........its the smugglers blues."

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    521

    Default

    I've traveled with sorb pretty extensively (I get three 70lb checked bags free because of frequent flier status). I always put the keg in a bag and have never had issues. Rarely, I do have issues with cylinders in checked luggage, but I tape my phone number on the tanks and have always successfully sorted it out.

    Jason Gulley


 

Similar Threads

  1. Traveling with Pets
    By twaldo in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-26-2018, 09:28 AM
  2. CCR & OW divers-Tiger Gear Tank Mount
    By Rhino in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 10:33 PM
  3. MSDS for Sorb
    By Arctic Mike in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-12-2011, 05:32 AM
  4. Caverns OK for OW CCR Divers
    By Art Greenberg in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-29-2011, 04:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts