Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    They are called biofilms, and Jason Gulley has theorized they may be sulphur seep. They are fairly common and Ginnie's Insulation tunnel is only one location, plus they take on different appearances. They are located in low flow areas normally, and at one time the one in the Insulation tunnel used to be very thick,but traffic has had an impact on it.
    The insulation looking stuff is typically associated with iron bacteria. White filamentous snotty stuff is usually more common with sulfur bacteria. That said, I'm a geologist and study stuff dissolved in the water and not bacteria (but I've done a decent amount of sampling biofilm for the people who study them).

    Jason Gulley

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    The insulation looking stuff is typically associated with iron bacteria. White filamentous snotty stuff is usually more common with sulfur bacteria. That said, I'm a geologist and study stuff dissolved in the water and not bacteria (but I've done a decent amount of sampling biofilm for the people who study them).
    You can even find insulation under ledges in the ballroom at Ginnie, some just a few feet into the cavern.

    Jason Gulley

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    theres a really big patch of insulation in HITW as well in a shallow area (40').


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Underwater
    Posts
    316

    Default

    We spotted some of it years ago, in JB years ago, Deloach's Delight / Source Nouveau. it was in various places. Some areas where it used to be are no longer there, but its still back there in one area that doesn't get frequented that much.


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    I enjoy seeing these things - the insulation in Ginnie, the brown bacteria colony in the Waterhole III tunnel, the smoky bacteria cloud in the far side of the Wishbone, etc. Very little is known about them. I was a wildlife biology major many years ago, but concentrated on mammals. As a cave diver I wish I'd learned more about invertebrates and strange bacteria.


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    377

    Default

    The insulation in JB looks like the dead carp in Cannonball


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Marianna, FL
    Posts
    394

    Default

    If you want to compare there was a dead carp in between Middle Grounds and Crinoid Glory. I haven't been in awhile but it didn't appear to be decaying that quickly. I'm sure it is still there.


  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Posts
    252

    Default

    It's still there!

    David Moore
    JWEP, GSEP, OCDA


 

Similar Threads

  1. Devils Insulation Tunnel
    By odin in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 01-20-2015, 01:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts