Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Longwood, FLorida
    Posts
    486

    Default What are the markings?

    I was looking at my Peacock Springs T-shirt last night, the one with the system map on the back. What is the meaning of the numbers notated next to the various systems? Example 55 (several places) and other numbers with P in front of them. Are these indicating depth or something else? Thanks.

    'You can say what you want about the South, but I ain't never heard of anyone wanting to retire to the North'

  2. #2
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default Re: What are the markings?

    Quote Originally Posted by metaldector
    I was looking at my Peacock Springs T-shirt last night, the one with the system map on the back. What is the meaning of the numbers notated next to the various systems? Example 55 (several places) and other numbers with P in front of them. Are these indicating depth or something else? Thanks.
    Without knowing exactly where you are talking about, I'm going to guess that you are seeing depth numbers, either on the ceiling or floor.

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  3. #3
    Guest

    Default

    The numbers with the "P" are feet of penetration.

    Numbers that are underlined are depth (in feet) to the floor of the cave at that point. If the numbers had the line over them (I don't believe that map has any), it would be depth to the ceiling.

    Russell


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Longwood, FLorida
    Posts
    486

    Default Thanks for the Input

    Your explanation seems solid. Thanks. Now when I dive there I can check the T-shirt for accuracy!

    'You can say what you want about the South, but I ain't never heard of anyone wanting to retire to the North'

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ft. White , Florida
    Posts
    894

    Default Re: Thanks for the Input

    Quote Originally Posted by metaldector
    Your explanation seems solid. Thanks. Now when I dive there I can check the T-shirt for accuracy!
    So if I see you down there with a t-shirt in your hand , I'll understand what's going on ...
    Or , you could wear it and your buddy could check your back etc ... !!!

    Jeano Beano

    Oh Lord , keep us safe , ALWAYS safe , and keep ME PRUDENT , ALWAYS PRUDENT !!!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Longwood, FLorida
    Posts
    486

    Default On the doubles

    I'd slip it over the doubles on my buddies back. He'd lead and I'd follow checking the accuracy of the T-shirt or is it a waterproof map? I forget. By the way, all of the numbers have lines under them so it is depth measured from the bottom of the cave.

    'You can say what you want about the South, but I ain't never heard of anyone wanting to retire to the North'

  7. #7
    mfascuba
    Guest

    Default Re: What are the markings?

    The numbers with the "P" in front of them are usually the penetration distance from the nearest entrance.


    Quote Originally Posted by metaldector
    I was looking at my Peacock Springs T-shirt last night, the one with the system map on the back. What is the meaning of the numbers notated next to the various systems? Example 55 (several places) and other numbers with P in front of them. Are these indicating depth or something else? Thanks.



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts