Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Task Loading

  1. #1

    Default Task Loading

    Thinking about Task Loading today.

    Fairly certain that Task Loading is likely a component in all accidents.

    What do you do when you realize you are task loaded, honestly?

    What is the minimum awareness that I owe to the team regardless of my task and how does this effect the tasks I choose to perform for the team?

    How do you avoid Task Loading?

    Do you talk about the potentiality for Task Loading in pre-dive brief?

    Do you talk about the ramifications of task loading during the post-dive debrief?

    Just wondering aloud.

    Dominick

    Dominick Gheesling

    Hike your own hike.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL - USA
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    Practice basic skills so they dont weight one down with task loading

    Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

  3. #3

    Default

    Buoyancy is always first, well right after breathing of course.

    No naked pictures, just dive stuff. Click Here

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    One big problem is not admitting you are getting overloaded. First you have to admit it to yourself, then it is only fair to let your buddies know. It is easy for an experienced buddy to cause a less experienced buddy to get overloaded. That can easily lead to an unsafe situation. I have called dives because the plan was too ambitious. I have also been with a buddy that was getting overloaded. When my buddy called the dive, I didn't argue, I just followed him out.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dominick Gheesling View Post
    Do you talk about the potentiality for Task Loading in pre-dive brief?

    Do you talk about the ramifications of task loading during the post-dive debrief?
    Yes to both!

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    PS Dominic, don't yell

    That huge type is annoying.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    PS Dominic, don't yell

    That huge type is annoying.
    Sorry about that. I was trying to make it easier for the elderly to read.

    Dominick Gheesling

    Hike your own hike.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    I was taught, and continue to teach "slow and relaxed with good technique, as long as you are breathing then everything else is gravy". This gets me to slow down in all aspects of life. I know when the world starts speeding up and I know that I can't keep up with it, so I need it to slow down. We try to teach the students that as well. You have to learn for yourself when the world starts moving faster and faster and how to slow it down.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dominick Gheesling View Post
    Sorry about that. I was trying to make it easier for the elderly to read.
    Careful there buddy

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hammer View Post
    Practice basic skills so they dont weight one down with task loading
    Good comment. When as task becomes an "over learned" task, then you don't need the mental processing for the other tasks, which can lead to task loading. When someone is task loaded, their breathing will get more shallow and CO2 levels climb with this hypercapnia,which makes the task loading grow larger, which can facilitate anxiety and panic.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick


 

Similar Threads

  1. Task Loading
    By dgschott in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 12:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts