Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Bailout issue

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    High Springs, FL
    Posts
    280

    Default Bailout issue

    I dive 18/45 in my off board dill which doubles as my bailout. The reason I do it is simple because I want the helium and only have one set of tanks so this gas gives me some flexibility in depth.This seems to be a more and more common gas for people diving rebreathers. However, I have noticed in the shallower caves IE ginnie or LR that I never see anyone have a 50% bottle for bailout. Assuming you did 3 hours bottom time, which is pretty common, and you have to bailout or go SCR you would need a 50% bottle to complete your deco obligations before going to oxygen at 20ft. Is it because people are lazy or just don?t think about or am I just being an idiot


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdobbertien View Post
    I dive 18/45 in my off board dill which doubles as my bailout. The reason I do it is simple because I want the helium and only have one set of tanks so this gas gives me some flexibility in depth.This seems to be a more and more common gas for people diving rebreathers. However, I have noticed in the shallower caves IE ginnie or LR that I never see anyone have a 50% bottle for bailout. Assuming you did 3 hours bottom time, which is pretty common, and you have to bailout or go SCR you would need a 50% bottle to complete your deco obligations before going to oxygen at 20ft. Is it because people are lazy or just don?t think about or am I just being an idiot
    Plan it out and see.

    If you're bailing out to that 1845 at a place like ginnie or LR, how long will you really be breathing that gas? Does that time on 18/45 increase your stop times before 20' enough to warrant bringing an extra tank to cover those stops relative to your bailout that you already have?


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    I would suggest investing in more tanks. That is far too lean a mix for places like Peacock, and even Devil's Eye.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    There's absolutely zero reason to bring 50% at Ginnie on a CCR.

    Plan a 3 hour dive in ginnie, tell me how long your deco is going to be between 70' and 20'. It's going to be shorter than the time it takes you to rig that tank and walk it to water. And that's IF your CCR fails and you have to bailout.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    And that's IF your CCR fails and you have to bailout.

    Don't you mean when your CCR fails and you have to bailout?

    Kyle

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmosche View Post
    Don't you mean when your CCR fails and you have to bailout?
    I've bailed out 1 time in literally 1000's of hours on CCR. 2 if you count the time I flooded my CCR in class.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for another Bailout Reg
    By NORTHEAST in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2018, 02:11 AM
  2. Rebreather bailout
    By aainslie in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-03-2011, 12:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts