Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 92
  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Draker View Post

    I can only hope that one day these ridiculous SM practices will become as extinct...
    I get that most people pretty much blindly follow some instructors preachings or some brand. Whether it's DIR or Edd or Halycon or or some dude in Mx or whatever. I would like to know why it's ridiculous to have the SPGs up?

    Funny that you mentioned bungee wings as being ridiculous since the stealth you have essentially also has a bundee wing. Care to share why it's ridiculous on your back but fantastic in SM?

    I'm not being facetious, I really asking.

    Richard, I meant tanks/valves pointed down. Compared to steels I think it's harder to keep ALs parallel to your body. And when the tanks points downish it also makes the SPGs point down. I think the curb feeders are a tank rigging issue. Having the regs point down adds to that.


  2. #32
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twaldo View Post

    HOWEVER, I never thought about the bungee getting too stretchy.... I will have to look at this possibility because it has gotten easier to bungee up when I'm getting into the water.
    Hey Tim,just be careful to not go too far. The bungee needs the strength to pull back,but not so tight that is hard to manipulate. Make other tweeks, and then add bungee tension until you are at the point you need to be. Also, the type of bungee material does matter. Try different types of bungee material and don't always trust the OEM material that came with the rig to be ideal,because sometimes it is cheaper and not of high quality.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  3. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    I get that most people pretty much blindly follow some instructors preachings or some brand. Whether it's DIR or Edd or Halycon or or some dude in Mx or whatever. I would like to know why it's ridiculous to have the SPGs up?

    Funny that you mentioned bungee wings as being ridiculous since the stealth you have essentially also has a bundee wing. Care to share why it's ridiculous on your back but fantastic in SM?

    I'm not being facetious, I really asking.

    Richard, I meant tanks/valves pointed down. Compared to steels I think it's harder to keep ALs parallel to your body. And when the tanks points downish it also makes the SPGs point down. I think the curb feeders are a tank rigging issue. Having the regs point down adds to that.
    My main point is for the masses, spgs out is an awful idea since most people aren’t that aware of how their stuff looks.

    Idk how you can compare a bungee doubles wing to the stealth. The bungees on a stealth are simply for attaching the wing. Bungees on a doubles wing are very different. That’s a big old stretch on that comparison.


  4. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    My main point is for the masses, spgs out is an awful idea since most people aren?t that aware of how their stuff looks.
    I think it's more of a training issue or just sloppiness or both. Not sure you can safe caves from being damaged by bad divers having them point the SPGs backwards. But just to be clear, the curb feelers are horrible, I just dont't see that all lollipops are also curb feelers.

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Idk how you can compare a bungee doubles wing to the stealth. The bungees on a stealth are simply for attaching the wing. Bungees on a doubles wing are very different. That?s a big old stretch on that comparison.
    Like on other rigs, such as the razor, the bungee also restricts the wing from expanding somewhat... you feel the bungees tighten as the wing expands. In principle it's the same function.
    I just brought it up since James mentioned bungee wings as ridiculous as so many people have in the past. Essentially, many SM wings are bungee wings, imho.


  5. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    My main point is for the masses, spgs out is an awful idea since most people aren?t that aware of how their stuff looks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0RTD7250II

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  6. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    So I had a chance to clip the section of video, maybe this will provide more insight to my issues.

    So yes the rh regulator is pointing down and drysuit inflator obviously hanging off RH side as well.

    https://youtu.be/JKDf42SKln8

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  7. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    I would make it easy and take a class. Save you a lot of trouble and time. There is a way to make the aluminum tanks stay in trim and not stick up in back. That will also help everything in the front.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    roadkill

  8. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    377

    Default

    the worst problem is that you boat has sunk and is upside down!


  9. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee View Post
    I would make it easy and take a class. Save you a lot of trouble and time. There is a way to make the aluminum tanks stay in trim and not stick up in back. That will also help everything in the front.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steel 72's, they get floaty around 1300 psi

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  10. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavekrazi View Post
    the worst problem is that you boat has sunk and is upside down!
    THANK GOD I had my sidemount kit.... actually it sunk keel down.

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker


 

Similar Threads

  1. Sidemount card needed to dive state parks in sidemount
    By Kelly Jessop in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-01-2019, 06:37 PM
  2. Sidemount harness for both sidemount and rebreather?
    By Greenwood_60 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-10-2017, 08:15 AM
  3. When is sidemount necessary????
    By Dsix36 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-11-2010, 03:46 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 04:08 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 06:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts