Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 92
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default danglies in sidemount

    Ok, first I LOVE my LP 72's for open water side mount, but with a 7' hose on my right side the hose just seems un-manageable. It is always a mess, I pull it out enough to breath on it (I don't wrap around my neck) then when I stow it hangs... it hangs at the bottom of my tank ALWAYS.

    My left side regulator is on a bungee around my neck and when I'm not breathing on it, it also dangles.

    My gauges are on 5"ish HP hoses, and they both angle down... Should I change to 3" hoses?

    I"m comfortable enough now that its time to start looking like I have my sidemount act together so suggestions would be appreciated. I'll post a side profile later, front profile attached.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	underwater selfie.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	20504
    Attachment 20508Attachment 20509Attachment 20510

    Last edited by twaldo; 08-18-2019 at 07:53 PM. Reason: add photos
    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    so I can't post the additional where they just show up.. you have to click on the links.

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Alachua, FL
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    I run my SPG hoses back along the tanks. Just reach back, pull them out and check 'em, should be confirming what you already know. Hope this helps...

    Safe diving,

    Rich

    Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I run my SPG hoses back along the tanks. Just reach back, pull them out and check 'em, should be confirming what you already know. Hope this helps...

    Safe diving,

    Rich
    I was told there were two options... run them back or run them forward.... I don't like running them back because of all the additional bends you put on the hoses... though yes this would alleviate the issue with the gauges. I'm thinking shorter hoses but not sure how short would be to short.

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Alachua, FL
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twaldo View Post
    I don't like running them back because of all the additional bends you put on the hoses...
    Mine run directly down the top of the tank from the first stage, no bends (pun intended). I "think" they're 9" but will check in the am...

    Safe diving,

    Rich

    Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Mine run directly down the top of the tank from the first stage, no bends (pun intended). I "think" they're 9" but will check in the am...

    Safe diving,

    Rich
    9" hose solves this problem


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default

    Why not wrap around your neck? This may be your solution.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    so longer HP hoses and strangle myself. Not what I was expecting, though I'm sure there are a few in cave country that wish I would strangle myself at times. When I started sidemount diving I didn't feel comfortable wrapping a hose (or two) around my neck.... maybe its time to move on. I specifically bought DiveRite's convertible 2nd stage so I could have it be a left hand hose. I don't have L/R valves on the 72's so I'm sure that is a little bit of the hose issue on my left hand side because the left hand hose routes pretty well on the LP85s.

    You are right though, wrapping my right hand regulator would take care of the longer hose sticking out the bottom of my cylinder as well as the extra length when I'm not breathing on that reg just hanging.

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    I hate hp hoses pointing out. It’s what Edd teaches or taught so it’s popular but it’s just stupid. 4or 9 inch hoses down the tank. I use 4 inch but blew a hose and I truly believe it’s from bending. I would move to 9inch but never dive sm much anymore. And my sm bailout I rarely look at. I don’t know why you wouldn’t wrap your hose around your neck. It brings a large portion of your hose around your chest and neck and not stuffed on the tank where it’s bulky. It’s easy. Pull out the hose and loop it around your neck. If there’s too much hanging down around your chat when you clip off when breathing the short hose, reach down the tank n tighten it up. Very easy.
    Valves down and spgs sticking up were what I was taught. It didn’t take much time to realize both are bad ideas.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Are you a self taught sidemounter? You can learn yourself but you could spend your money wisely taking a day or two learning sm from an instructor. Your learning curve will be easier. I also don’t agree with not having the right hose run like you were in bm. If lu only dive with skilled sm divers then there’s not even really much need for a long hose(though that’s a whole other topic). If ypu’re Like most of us that dive with mixed teams or you’re a person who goes between sm and bm, I think it’s best to keep it all similar. Aka right post around neck. On top of that when I’ve watched people in classes donate when the long hose is coming straight up from the tank, they always fiddle and falter getting the hose pulled. With it wrapped around the neck it’s much smoother.
    Darker and marissa’s sm students all look pretty good and aren’t taught some of the things I don’t agree with like forward spgs. If you haven’t taken a course a day with one of them would probably clean you up very quickly.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Sidemount card needed to dive state parks in sidemount
    By Kelly Jessop in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-01-2019, 06:37 PM
  2. Sidemount harness for both sidemount and rebreather?
    By Greenwood_60 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-10-2017, 08:15 AM
  3. When is sidemount necessary????
    By Dsix36 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-11-2010, 03:46 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 04:08 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 06:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts