Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Where the shore meets the ocean
    Posts
    72

    Default Side Mount for the "occasional" cave diver

    Hi Fellows,

    I don't live next to caves . Being between NJ and NC, wrecks are what most of my diving has been about. I wanted to get into cave diving just to practice overhead and line work for wrecks. As I researched cave diving and cave courses, they seem to be a world within themselves and my motivation has changed. I would like to get into cave diving for the sake of cave diving.

    Initially, I wanted to stick to backmount cave training and diving because that would have been my configuration inside wrecks. Now I see the advantages of side-mount particularly in a cave setting. Presently, my backmount configuration has become an extension of my body and it may take some dives to get that level of proficiency with sidemount. Once it is achieved, you have to be diving it frequently to retain it. For someone who will be diving caves once a year, should I stick to backmount? My concern is finding myself deep inside a cave in a configuration that I am "second best" in.

    Someone suggested that I take the cave course in backmount. When I am done, I can dive is SM or BM but if I take the course in BM then learning SM and getting a few dives under instructor supervision may be hard.

    Thoughts and suggestions welcome.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Since you're already very comfortable in BM, my recommendation is to learn to cave dive in the equipment that is the "extension of your body" rather than trying to learn both how to cave dive and how to dive sidemount at the same time.

    Ken Sallot

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Antonio,Tx
    Posts
    240

    Default

    I agree with Ken, I am definitely more comfortable in backmount than sidemount. So any serious technical diving I do (including cavediving) is in backmount. Maybe one day I'll be proficient enough to sidemount in a cave.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    agree with Ken. Cave training is to teach you to cave dive, not to dive in new gear. Take the course in backmount and learn to cave dive in a configuration you're familiar in. After you go through training and get some dives in, if you want to go sidemount, take a sidemount course and commit to it properly.
    I believe sidemount is a better configuration for cave diving and very rarely dive doubles in a cave and very rarely dive sidemount in open water because I think doubles are better for OW/wreck diving. That said, there is very little in terms of equipment configuration that feels as simple as a set of doubles and I love how easy it is so there's something to be said about that while you're learning to cave dive.

    Ken btw is a great instructor with umpteen bajillion dives in doubles going back to the WKPP days, so I'd highly recommend reaching out to him while you are instructor shopping.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Why do you *need* sidemount? Sidemount for most is a tool to overcome some issue, whether it be injury, SUPER tight cave, etc. Backmount can keep you plenty busy in Florida and Mexico caves for many years to come.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Where the shore meets the ocean
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lord1234 View Post
    Why do you *need* sidemount? Sidemount for most is a tool to overcome some issue, whether it be injury, SUPER tight cave, etc. Backmount can keep you plenty busy in Florida and Mexico caves for many years to come.
    Well firstly, those caves in the Bahamas look pretty awesome! I heard that you had to be in SM to dive those? Secondly, all cave divers end up in SM at some point. It seemed the most optimum set up if you were doing strictly cave. I am glad that that is not the case.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Learn to cave dive first, then decide if you want to screw with SM. I started bm for a little while, chose to go sm and I absolutely love sm (I'm way more comfortable sm than bm), but have started going back to bm. Sm can be a real PIA. In the initial stages it's constantly fiddling with gear (even if you take a course). Then when you start going longer range you have to start figuring out what to do with all of your stages. BM if by far much easier to use to just gear up and go. SM is really only necessary when you need to hit tight passages. I personally still dive sm for alot of areas others can wiggle through in 104s. The main reason is I have way more time in sm than doubles and am less likely to scar the cave in sm.



    If I had to do it all over again I would've just stuck with bm the whole way through. Only reason I chose to go to sm was my wife took a pretty nasty spill due to a tree root with worthy 85s doubles on her back and was out of diving for a while. It was the height of the sm craze a few years ago and thought maybe the switch will decrease the chance of her hurting herself again. She would also go back to all bm diving now too if given a choice.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Not sure if it's needed, but another agree with Ken.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Enterprise, AL
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SUB ZERO View Post
    Secondly, all cave divers end up in SM at some point.
    Not necessarily true. I know several really experienced guys who have never messed with it. There's a ton of backmount accessible cave out there. Stick with the gear you know while learning about the environment you don't. You can think about sidemount later on down the line when you have a need for it. There are way more sidemount divers than divers who truly need sidemount.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    High Springs, FL
    Posts
    615

    Default

    I'd say take the class in the configuration that you are comfortable in, then learn SM after the class.


    It's frustrating to change to a configuration that you're not used to during a class.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Remember the "working man" cave diver
    By Kelly Jessop in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2018, 01:14 PM
  2. Cave Diver on kid's show "Totally Wild"
    By jdz in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2009, 07:41 PM
  3. "Side Mount Cave diving"
    By akioMtFuji in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 09:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts