Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, Minnesota
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Comparing double arrows making a jump to a neon sign is a bit of a stretch.


  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oceancurrent View Post
    Anyone who wants to visit these based on the published maps will not be deterred by lack of markers etc - a little bit of planned search effort is all it takes.
    Isn't that really the point?



    Just because the double arrows are gone, it doesn't prevent someone who is looking for the passage from finding it. It does, however, reduce the swimming by, seeing a marked jump, and exploring it just because it's there phenomenon. There is a LOT of cave to see at Peacock. For those that haven't been there enough to know where the pulled jumps are, I don't think they are exactly missing out on passage to explore. For those who are ready to explore new sections, or who specifically want to find the areas in question, there is no barrier preventing them from doing so. Furthermore, unless the jump lines were significantly cut back, I don't see how this would result in any increased damage to the cave. The same jump line needs to be put in place...


    Am I missing something here? I am trying to understand why people are expressing concern over this, but I'm just not seeing it...


  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    I just don't get the circuiting the wishbone. I can't think of a good reason to do it. Would like to hear the thoughts on that one.


  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    High Springs, FL
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Aren't lines supposed to be there to help someone find their way out, not find their way in?


  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Well, if "if you can't find the tunnels without the double arrows, then you shouldn't be there => pull out the double arrows" is a sound argument, then shouldn't we pull out the double arrows in Ginnie and all other systems? While we are at it, perhaps consider the argument "if you can't find your way around the cave without the guideline, you have no business in the cave => pull the lines out of the cave". But why stop here? We can take away all cave maps too. Where do we stop?


  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    I just don't get the circuiting the wishbone. I can't think of a good reason to do it. Would like to hear the thoughts on that one.
    Yup.


  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    I just don't get the circuiting the wishbone. I can't think of a good reason to do it. Would like to hear the thoughts on that one.
    To prevent damage to the cave caused by unskilled divers installing jumps?
    Sure one can argue about not having it Teed would keep the unskilled diver from going in to begin with, I believe that would be no more than assumptions, but if the “T” is indeed to prevent damage from installing jumps, then we already have a solid motive without need for assumptions, as one would be able to observe damage near the start/end of the line?

    Of course my vote is to T everything, everywhere


  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pavão View Post
    To prevent damage to the cave caused by unskilled divers installing jumps?
    Sure one can argue about not having it Teed would keep the unskilled diver from going in to begin with, I believe that would be no more than assumptions, but if the ?T? is indeed to prevent damage from installing jumps, then we already have a solid motive without need for assumptions, as one would be able to observe damage near the start/end of the line?

    Of course my vote is to T everything, everywhere
    If all of the jumps being placed are whats damaging the caves then we should just t the crap out of everything. I personally suspect higher traffic will damage the wishbone circuit more than jumps. I?m hoping to be proven wrong and it stays pretty. Ove the years I?ve seen the olden bypass get more and more scarred so I?m glad its not marked anymore (at least last time I dove it). In my head I see the same scars popping up in the wishbone.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    If these line changes are made due to the assumption that there is a lack of skills in certified cave divers shouldn't the root problem be addressed?


  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    If these line changes are made due to the assumption that there is a lack of skills in certified cave divers shouldn't the root problem be addressed?
    That?ll be the day.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



 

Similar Threads

  1. Cookies and Line Arrows F/S
    By cavediverswife50 in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2015, 07:57 PM
  2. Line arrows Peacock Springs
    By tflaris in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2012, 08:15 PM
  3. Peacock line arrows configuration change
    By Jim Wyatt in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2012, 12:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts