My buddy and I were at a local quarry yesterday tweaking and practicing with our new sidemount rigs. The odd looks and stares we got from the OW students and their instructors was rather humorous. None of them bothered to ask.

When we were getting in for our last dive, a family of 5, was getting out. My buddy and I were there in waist deep water discussing our hose routing, clicking on tanks, etc. The young man in the family of 5 just stood there staring at us while his dad was lecturing his two sisters...etc. The young man was oblivious to his father's lecture.

After our dive we walked back to our table and began taking off our rigs. About this time a truck pulls up and we see the young man heading our way while his family waited.

First thing out of his mouth, was "may I ask you a question?" Sure I said. "What is that funny looking contraption for?"

Contraption. Too funny.

We chuckled and explained what it was and where it came from. He was intriqued and said he figured it was for caving or wrecking.

Contraption. We dive a morphed "contraption" with a little bit of Rennaker and a little bit of Lamar rolled into our own preference.