Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    when i see safeties like this, I will check them to see if they are cooked. Mind you i am usually aware of who they belong to. Last time i was in the courtyard, i pulled out one of the safeties that was cooked and dropped it at CCDS (knowing who it was for) and notified them.

    Its nice to let them know before they go for a push and get to a safety that is cooked and need to adjust plans or abort.

    Use your best judgement.


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Those two safety bottles were installed in October as part of a video and survey documentation project under a permit with the DEP held by Karst Underwater Research. Unfortunately, we got flooded out in November and haven't had a chance to get back. You can see some video of the Courtyard, shot by Michael Barnette, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI2WCRF4BCM

    On the topic of safeties staged in a cave...

    I'm ok with someone checking my safeties, just leave them turned off when you're done checking them. Leaving them on can cause all of the gas to get drained.

    I'm also ok with someone using one of the safeties if they need to in an emergency -- that's what they are there for.

    I'm NOT ok with someone just taking them out without that person knowing who/what/why they are there for.

    Thanks.

    Ken Sallot

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    Those two safety bottles were installed in October as part of a video and survey documentation project under a permit with the DEP held by Karst Underwater Research. Unfortunately, we got flooded out in November and haven't had a chance to get back. You can see some video of the Courtyard, shot by Michael Barnette, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI2WCRF4BCM
    That's not the video...here is the video...LOL. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUPzqblHawA

    Glad the bottles appear to be in good shape...thanks for posting the pic.

    Michael C. Barnette
    Association of Underwater Explorers

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Posts
    252

    Default

    I agree. I don't mind my stages being checked as long as the valve is shut off and it is in the same place it was found.

    Definitely nice to know beforehand if there is something wrong with the equipment I've staged for for a future dive.

    Taking out a stage that is not yours is a no no!

    David Moore
    JWEP, GSEP, OCDA

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    Love the video!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    roadkill

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    I'm surprised everybody's ok with random people checking their stage. I was very specifically taught in cave classes to leave people's bottles alone (kind of like no dm's touch my gear on dive boats). I'm fine if someone's in a dire emergency and they need my tank. That's what it's there for. Otherwise hands off. If it's a buddy's bottle and you want to check it, then that's a whole different category too.


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    high springs
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    I'm surprised everybody's ok with random people checking their stage. I was very specifically taught in cave classes to leave people's bottles alone (kind of like no dm's touch my gear on dive boats). I'm fine if someone's in a dire emergency and they need my tank. That's what it's there for. Otherwise hands off. If it's a buddy's bottle and you want to check it, then that's a whole different category too.
    Rest assured, we still teach those procedures. Nothing has changed in "decades" Why, all of a sudden is there increased interest in a stage bottle that a diver comes across.
    As I said in an earlier post. The bottle is not lost. It's where it is for a reason. If you're not part of the equation, move on! Seems simple enough.


  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Thanks, Mike, that video made my day

    Quote Originally Posted by barney00 View Post
    That's not the video...here is the video...LOL. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUPzqblHawA

    Glad the bottles appear to be in good shape...thanks for posting the pic.

    Barbara/San Francisco

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Rest assured, we still teach those procedures. Nothing has changed in "decades" Why, all of a sudden is there increased interest in a stage bottle that a diver comes across.
    As I said in an earlier post. The bottle is not lost. It's where it is for a reason. If you're not part of the equation, move on! Seems simple enough.
    I wholeheartedly disagree. It’s usually obvious when a bottle is a long term safety vs a day of stage. I would much prefer the heads up that my safety is cooked before it ruins a long push dive that took months to plan.


  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default Staged tank found in Madison blue

    I grabbed a stage bottle once. Thought it was mine until I went to put it on. I quickly placed it back. Glad no one saw me, I would be in deep ####


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    roadkill


 

Similar Threads

  1. Fins found at Madison Blue
    By Daedalus in forum Lost & Found
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-27-2015, 04:56 PM
  2. Found: Reel at Madison Blue
    By Kirk in forum Lost & Found
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-19-2012, 08:02 PM
  3. Found today at Madison Blue
    By Dsix36 in forum Lost & Found
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 03:37 PM
  4. New tank racks at Madison Blue Springs
    By Jim Wyatt in forum Cave Diving Events, Socials, Workshops
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 07:15 PM
  5. Madison Blue Tank Racks
    By Jim Wyatt in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 05:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts