Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: New HID

  1. #1
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,985

    Default New HID

    Has anyone used the new handheld DR HID light? I was curious to get someone's impression under actual use.

    Did you have any problem getting grit under the o-rings where it turns off and on? What betteries have you used and runtimes were you getting?

    Looks like a nice compact package, and might be nice in places where we don't want to carry a corded light.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    I looked at it at the workshop Marbry. It's light enough to fit on a helmet for sump diving. They are also working on a LED light. They are using regular batteries of some kind. It looks like the bomb for sumps but I have heard complaints about inceased back scatter and it's pretty expensive. Cindy

    "Philosophy is a purely personal matter. A genuine philosopher's credo is the outcome of a single complex personality; it cannot be transferred. No two persons, if sincere, can have the same philosophy."
    --Havelock Ellis

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    High Springs
    Posts
    245

    Default

    The HID Flashlight uses the same internals as the new MR11 SunsSpot. The H-type bulb coupled with the seperate reflector yields a very tight central hotspot; tighter than the DR H10. However, it also gives good peripheral light. I used it Mexico, in the darker upper parts of Carwash, Naharon, etc the central beam punches through. In the lower white rooms, the central beam reaches out into the big rooms while the peripheral lights the side walls. The peripheral is very subtle, if you aren't looking for it you may not even notice it; it is there. I also dove this in some tannic/river flooded cave; the beam punch is excellent and the peripheral is subtle enough that the backscatter mentioned was minimal. It definately isn't as bad as some lights already out there.

    Jerry


  4. #4

    Default

    Have not dove with mine yet so I am not too sure how sand or debris will act with the threads but it should be ok,It is a very tight fit where it screws on.Probably just need to make sure you clean the threads good before putting it back together for next dive.I am getting a little over 3 hours burn time with Maha 2700 MilliampHour batteries while "sinktesting" it


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    1,671

    Default Backin the day

    DR used to make all their lights with a screw together head/switch It worked good and I don't remember ever having a problem with sand in the threads.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default recharge

    I was told it can take lithium rechargable batteries or standard duracell batteries.

    -skip

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The HID Flashlight uses the same internals as the new MR11 SunsSpot. The H-type bulb coupled with the seperate reflector yields a very tight central hotspot; tighter than the DR H10. However, it also gives good peripheral light. I used it Mexico, in the darker upper parts of Carwash, Naharon, etc the central beam punches through. In the lower white rooms, the central beam reaches out into the big rooms while the peripheral lights the side walls. The peripheral is very subtle, if you aren't looking for it you may not even notice it; it is there. I also dove this in some tannic/river flooded cave; the beam punch is excellent and the peripheral is subtle enough that the backscatter mentioned was minimal. It definately isn't as bad as some lights already out there.

    Jerry
    The people I talked to were helmet mounting the lights. Holding a light in your hand will always decrease the scatter. Did you try them on a helmet yet? Cindy

    "Philosophy is a purely personal matter. A genuine philosopher's credo is the outcome of a single complex personality; it cannot be transferred. No two persons, if sincere, can have the same philosophy."
    --Havelock Ellis

  8. #8
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The HID Flashlight uses the same internals as the new MR11 SunsSpot. The H-type bulb coupled with the seperate reflector yields a very tight central hotspot; tighter than the DR H10. However, it also gives good peripheral light. I used it Mexico, in the darker upper parts of Carwash, Naharon, etc the central beam punches through. In the lower white rooms, the central beam reaches out into the big rooms while the peripheral lights the side walls. The peripheral is very subtle, if you aren't looking for it you may not even notice it; it is there. I also dove this in some tannic/river flooded cave; the beam punch is excellent and the peripheral is subtle enough that the backscatter mentioned was minimal. It definately isn't as bad as some lights already out there.

    Jerry
    I was thinking if you could get more even beam spread it would probably make an excellent compact video light too. I wonder if you could cut a video reflector down to fit and accomplish anything worthwhile with that? Or perhaps some sort of diffraction lens that just fits over the existing clear lens.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Keller, Tx
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Something like this?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

    You could also use thin plastic or a fabric type material.

    Fabric example-
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

    What keeps you from using a video diffuser from the Diverite line?
    Lumedyne Reflector

    Has anyone put tire tube over the screw-on connection to keep sand out?

    Later, Andrew


  10. #10
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    Yes, something like that. Maybe just a disk of frosted glass might be enough to disperse it. Especially if you could just hold it on with a small sleeve so that it was still compact but easily removable.

    I believe the Lumedyne reflectors only fit on the adjustable style heads though. What I was wondering if you could cut the bottom off one like that and fit it inside the handheld.



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts